Oprah Winfrey sparks family feud after buying father's barbershop
- Photo: Jackson Lee/Splash News1 of 17
- Photo: Denis Farrell/Invision/AP2 of 17
- Photo: CNN/Promotional3 of 17
- Photo: OWN via People/.4 of 17
- Photo: Walter McBride / WM Photos/Retna Ltd.5 of 17
- Photo: OWN/.6 of 17
- Photo: Manish Swarup/Invision/AP7 of 17
- Photo: Harpo Productions/Promotional8 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage9 of 17
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage10 of 17
- Photo: Charles Bennet/Invision/AP11 of 17
- Photo: Jon Furniss/WireImage12 of 17
- Photo: Splash News13 of 17
- Photo: Splash News14 of 17
- Photo: Ben Rose/WireImage15 of 17
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP16 of 17
More Celeb News
- American Idol: Is This the Most Boring Group of Contestants Ever?MSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:47:00 PM
- Does Mel Gibson Deserve Another Chance?MSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:22:00 PM
- 'Fast & Furious 7' Resumes Production This MonthMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:02:00 PM
- Obama pitches his health care plan on Funny or DieMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:01:01 PM
- ABC's Ratings the Most Glaring Challenge for Anne Sweeney's SuccessorMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 3:58:00 PM
- American Idol: Is This the Most Boring Group of Contestants Ever?
Oprah Winfrey is embroiled in a family feud after saving her father's barbershop business from closure.
The billionaire TV titan bought the Nashville, Tenn., barbershop which her dad, Vernon Winfrey, has run for 50 years, in an auction on Friday after he faced losing the business' new building to foreclosure.
His wife Barbara, who filed divorce papers against Vernon earlier this week, claims she has been locked out of the family company by her stepdaughter Oprah, and would have been able to pay off the store's debts herself.
RELATED: Fabulous Over 50
She tells Fox News, "I know what is going on. I'm tired of it, and I've had enough. There is no reason for it to go into foreclosure like this. The property is upside down, which is what a lot of properties are. It cost us $481,000 to build this building, but it's only worth $350,000."
"People are giving him wrong advice, and it's leaving me in a situation where all I can do is fight for me. He believes what he's told. His daughter doesn't care about the community. His daughter doesn't care about the barbershop. But I do."
However, Vernon defended his decision to allow his famous offspring to buy his property, insisting, "My wife and I, we have not been getting along well, and I did not want to endow myself to another drawn-out, struggling debt."
A representative for the media mogul adds, "Oprah purchased the property that was in foreclosure. Vernon Winfrey has been a fixture in the community for decades and will continue to manage the business on a day-to-day basis."
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
See some of Duchess Kate's most budget-friendly fashion items.Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Find out where Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon are and what they're doing on their latest "girl's trip" on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
From Crowd Ignite