Oprah Winfrey sparks family feud after buying father's barbershop
- Photo: Jackson Lee/Splash News1 of 17
- Photo: Denis Farrell/Invision/AP2 of 17
- Photo: CNN/Promotional3 of 17
- Photo: OWN via People/.4 of 17
- Photo: Walter McBride / WM Photos/Retna Ltd.5 of 17
- Photo: OWN/.6 of 17
- Photo: Manish Swarup/Invision/AP7 of 17
- Photo: Harpo Productions/Promotional8 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage9 of 17
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage10 of 17
- Photo: Charles Bennet/Invision/AP11 of 17
- Photo: Jon Furniss/WireImage12 of 17
- Photo: Splash News13 of 17
- Photo: Splash News14 of 17
- Photo: Ben Rose/WireImage15 of 17
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP16 of 17
More Celeb News
- NBC Promotes Jenny Groom to Senior Vice President, Alternative Programming and DevelopmentMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Bryan Singer Accuser Michael Egan Drops Sex Abuse LawsuitMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Pivot Network Now Available on College Streaming Service PhiloMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:31:00 PM
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Summer Finale Attracts 2.3 Million ViewersMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:14:00 PM
- Chiller 'As Above, So Below' Tries to Put Scare Into 'Guardians'MSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 2:53:00 PM
- NBC Promotes Jenny Groom to Senior Vice President, Alternative Programming and Development
Oprah Winfrey is embroiled in a family feud after saving her father's barbershop business from closure.
The billionaire TV titan bought the Nashville, Tenn., barbershop which her dad, Vernon Winfrey, has run for 50 years, in an auction on Friday after he faced losing the business' new building to foreclosure.
His wife Barbara, who filed divorce papers against Vernon earlier this week, claims she has been locked out of the family company by her stepdaughter Oprah, and would have been able to pay off the store's debts herself.
RELATED: Fabulous Over 50
She tells Fox News, "I know what is going on. I'm tired of it, and I've had enough. There is no reason for it to go into foreclosure like this. The property is upside down, which is what a lot of properties are. It cost us $481,000 to build this building, but it's only worth $350,000."
"People are giving him wrong advice, and it's leaving me in a situation where all I can do is fight for me. He believes what he's told. His daughter doesn't care about the community. His daughter doesn't care about the barbershop. But I do."
However, Vernon defended his decision to allow his famous offspring to buy his property, insisting, "My wife and I, we have not been getting along well, and I did not want to endow myself to another drawn-out, struggling debt."
A representative for the media mogul adds, "Oprah purchased the property that was in foreclosure. Vernon Winfrey has been a fixture in the community for decades and will continue to manage the business on a day-to-day basis."
Get out the vote
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Beyonce does her best to prove that her family life is just perfect on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The guys from Rascal Flatts talk with Wonderwall editor Jessica Herndon about life on tour, crazy fan encounters and more.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Golden Globe Style
Cojo predicts the trends for the 2010 Golden Globes.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTEmmy Parties
From Crowd Ignite