Oprah Winfrey wears wild wig on September cover of O, The Oprah Magazine
- Photo: O magazine/Promotional1 of 13
- Photo: Joe Stevens/Retna Ltd.2 of 13
- Photo: Michael Edwards/Parade3 of 13
- Photo: Elise Amendola/Invision/AP4 of 13
- Photo: Elise Amendola/Invision/AP5 of 13
- Photo: Elise Amendola/Invision/AP6 of 13
- Photo: GIULIO MARCOCCHI/StarTraks7 of 13
- Photo: Larry Busacca/Getty Images North America8 of 13
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage9 of 13
- Photo: SJD/ZOJ/WENN10 of 13
- Photo: Newspix/Rex / Rex USA/.11 of 13
- Photo: Rex USA12 of 13
More Celeb News
- 10 Oscar Lessons From the First Blitz of Critics' AwardsMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 11:58:45 PM
- 'Hobbit' Sequel's High Frame Rate Theaters Nearly Doubled But Warner BroMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 11:36:29 PM
- Leighton Meester to Make Broadway Debut Opposite James Franco in 'Of Mice and Men'MSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 9:00:07 PM
- How Hollywood Infiltrated Miami's Art Basel (Photos)MSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 7:56:35 PM
- '20 Feet From Stardom' Stars to Sing National Anthem at Rose BowlMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 7:04:02 PM
- 10 Oscar Lessons From the First Blitz of Critics' Awards
Talk about a hair-raising look! Oprah Winfrey models a giant afro wig on the September 2013 cover of O, The Oprah Magazine -- and the TV titan's hefty headpiece weighed a whopping 3 1/2 pounds! "I wish I could say it was all mine. In fact, though, it's borrowed. And it feels like carrying around an extra head," Winfrey reveals. "My own hair is shorter, not quite so spherical, and a lot lighter. But that doesn't mean it never gives me grief. When it comes to hair, I'm in the same boat as most every other woman."
According to the Mississippi native, "The way we feel about our hair is universal: We love it when it looks great, we can't stand it when it looks not so great, and we all want it to tell the world something about us."
Winfrey's wig was transported to the New York City photo shoot on June 1 in Bubble Wrap and a custom-made, bright pink travel box. "The Butler" star's longtime hair guru, Andre Walker, says "it wasn't easy" finding such an eye-catching look. "I finally decided I'd have to make one myself. Two days later I was on the set of "The Voice," talking to the stylist there, Kim Kimble. When I told her about my predicament, she said she had created a wig I could borrow," he recalls. "Saved me a good bit of time!"
The former talk show host's BFF, Gayle King, thought the wig was a hoot. "Can someone put on the soundtrack to 'The Lion King?'" she cracked. The magazine's creative director, Adam Glassman, was mesmerized, telling Winfrey, "Your hair looks like Chaka Khan and Diana Ross combined."
In her monthly "What I Know for Sure" column, Winfrey reflects on her past looks and says she's grown to love her natural hairstyle. "For almost 30 years, I've had the luxury of a hairdresser, Andre Walker, who loves all kinds of hair textures and adores experimenting," she writes. "Hence this month's cover; we call the wig I'm wearing Wild Thang!"
"During the 'Oprah' show years, we used wigs intermittently to give my hair a break from the daily grind of styling," she remembers. "Had Andre not had the foresight to do this, I probably wouldn't have a single strand left today -- an unthinkable state of affairs for a girl with my -- no pun intended -- roots."
Winfrey also admits she "used to be so particular" about how her hair looked. "Now, as is the case in many other areas of my life, I've relaxed. No more bad hair days -- just days when I might need a headband," she jokes. "Because as much as I enjoyed hanging out with Wild Thang, I know for sure that your true crowning glory comes not from what's on your head but from what's in your heart."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Christina Aguilera to Jennifer Hudson, see some of Hollywood's ever-changing waistlines.Watch Video »
Candace Cameron Bure talks to WW's Chris Gardner about "Full House" reruns, her famous brother and finding her purpose in life through faith.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTAdele's PDA
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite