Oprah Winfrey's OWN network slapped with discrimination lawsuit
- Photo: Manish Swarup/Invision/AP1 of 17
- Photo: Raymond Hagans/Retna Ltd.2 of 17
- Photo: Newspix/Rex / Rex USA/.3 of 17
- Photo: Rex USA4 of 17
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 17
- Photo: Gallo Images/Rex USA6 of 17
- Photo: Mark Wilson/Invision/AP7 of 17
- Photo: SJD/ZOJ/WENN8 of 17
- Photo: Rex USA9 of 17
- Photo: Gregory Pace / BEImages/Rex USA10 of 17
- Photo: Terry Richardson/Harper's Bazaar11 of 17
- Photo: Terry Richardson/Harper's Bazaar12 of 17
- Photo: Mark Wilkins/Fame Flynet13 of 17
- Photo: Denis Farrell/Invision/AP14 of 17
- Photo: PacificCoastNews/Pacific Coast News15 of 17
- Photo: ABC/WENN16 of 17
More Celeb News
- Golden Globes Nominees Include 'American Hustle,' 'Her,' &apMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 5:44:10 AM
- Palm Springs Fest Adds Canadian Films, 45 Foreign Oscar ContendersMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 5:11:13 AM
- 'X Factor' Semifinal Borrows From NBC's 'The Voice' (ViMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 12:31:33 AM
- Hollywood Forced to Invest Heavily in New Technology to Keep Up With DemandMSNEntertainment 12/11/2013 9:01:09 PM
- Britney Spears Suffers Worst Album Debut Ever With 'Britney Jean'MSNEntertainment 12/11/2013 6:45:32 PM
- Golden Globes Nominees Include 'American Hustle,' 'Her,' &ap
By Wonderwall Editors
VIDEO: Best TMI tweets
Carolyn Hommel says that while working as the senior director of scheduling and acquisitions at OWN in 2010, she was given a glowing performance review and told she was bound for a vice president position. But when Hommel became pregnant, a temporary employee took her job.
After she returned to work following a medical leave due to the birth of her child, Hommel says the temporary employee eventually took on all the responsibilities that used to be under Hommel's command. She also claims that she was no longer included in meetings that she believes she should have been a part of.
In March 2012, a month after her daughter arrived, Hommel learned she was being laid off. THR reports that although OWN execs suggested she could reapply for the vice president position, she did not get it.
The final blow came with her last performance review, which reportedly "made Hommel's job duties and responsibilities appear less 'senior' and therefore not a candidate for the new vice president position," the lawsuit alleges.
OWN has not yet commented on the lawsuit, which alleges the company is guilty of sex discrimination, disability discrimination, failure to prevent discrimination, retaliation and willful failure to pay wages upon discharge or termination, according to THR.
Kourtney Kardashian hits up the happiest place on Earth on today’s Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Olivia Wilde to Mario Lopez, see which stars have the hottest beach bods of 2013.Watch Video »
Heidi Klum, Selena Gomez, LeAnn Rimes and Kyle Richards show off their holiday spirit on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Jenny and Donnie to Amanda and Justin, see more celebs who found new love in 2013.Watch Video »
Check out the many times Taylor Swift has pulled out her surprise face at award shows.Watch Video »
See how Kim Kardashian, Fergie, Duchess Kate and more celebs look now that they've lost their pregnancy weight.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTFuneral Plans
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite