Oprah Winfrey's OWN network slapped with discrimination lawsuit
- Photo: Manish Swarup/Invision/AP1 of 17
- Photo: Raymond Hagans/Retna Ltd.2 of 17
- Photo: Newspix/Rex / Rex USA/.3 of 17
- Photo: Rex USA4 of 17
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 17
- Photo: Gallo Images/Rex USA6 of 17
- Photo: Mark Wilson/Invision/AP7 of 17
- Photo: SJD/ZOJ/WENN8 of 17
- Photo: Rex USA9 of 17
- Photo: Gregory Pace / BEImages/Rex USA10 of 17
- Photo: Terry Richardson/Harper's Bazaar11 of 17
- Photo: Terry Richardson/Harper's Bazaar12 of 17
- Photo: Mark Wilkins/Fame Flynet13 of 17
- Photo: Denis Farrell/Invision/AP14 of 17
- Photo: PacificCoastNews/Pacific Coast News15 of 17
- Photo: ABC/WENN16 of 17
More Celeb News
- AMC Orders Martial Arts Drama 'Badlands' Straight to SeriesMSNEntertainment 7/11/2014 4:36:00 PM
- 'The Chair' Producer Zachary Quinto Talks 'Skepticism' About UnsMSNEntertainment 7/11/2014 4:19:00 PM
- LeBron James' Absence Demands Explanation During Starz's 'Survivor&apMSNEntertainment 7/11/2014 4:15:00 PM
- Megan Ellison Nearing Deal to Co-Finance Leonardo DiCaprio Thriller 'The Revenant'MSNEntertainment 7/11/2014 3:52:00 PM
- Yahoo Acquires Mobile Streaming Start-up RayVMSNEntertainment 7/11/2014 3:48:00 PM
- AMC Orders Martial Arts Drama 'Badlands' Straight to Series
By Wonderwall Editors
VIDEO: Best TMI tweets
Carolyn Hommel says that while working as the senior director of scheduling and acquisitions at OWN in 2010, she was given a glowing performance review and told she was bound for a vice president position. But when Hommel became pregnant, a temporary employee took her job.
After she returned to work following a medical leave due to the birth of her child, Hommel says the temporary employee eventually took on all the responsibilities that used to be under Hommel's command. She also claims that she was no longer included in meetings that she believes she should have been a part of.
In March 2012, a month after her daughter arrived, Hommel learned she was being laid off. THR reports that although OWN execs suggested she could reapply for the vice president position, she did not get it.
The final blow came with her last performance review, which reportedly "made Hommel's job duties and responsibilities appear less 'senior' and therefore not a candidate for the new vice president position," the lawsuit alleges.
OWN has not yet commented on the lawsuit, which alleges the company is guilty of sex discrimination, disability discrimination, failure to prevent discrimination, retaliation and willful failure to pay wages upon discharge or termination, according to THR.
See some of the many revealing looks that Kim Kardashian has donned recently.Watch Video »
Check out some of the cutest celeb baby bumps hitting the beach this summer.Watch Video »
Reese Witherspoon shares photos of her burgeoning friendship with Sofia Vergara on Instagram on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See some of Duchess Kate's most budget-friendly fashion items.Watch Video »
Rihanna shows her softer, sweeter side -- plus a newfound maternal instinct! -- on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the many women who have been wooed by George Clooney over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBoob Job?
From Crowd Ignite