Paula Deen fired by Food Network; contract not renewed
- Photo: Mr Blue/WENN1 of 9
- Photo: Mr. Blue/WENN2 of 9
- Photo: Invision/AP3 of 9
- Photo: SETH BROWARNIK/StarTraks4 of 9
- Photo: Splash News/Splash News5 of 9
- Photo: Brian Killian/WireImage6 of 9
- Photo: Paul Zimmerman/WireImage7 of 9
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP8 of 9
More Celeb News
- From "Sassenach" to Time Travel! Everything You Need to Know About Starz'MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:48:00 PM
- ABC's 'The Quest' Producers Reveal How They Found HeroesMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:26:00 PM
- Sharknado 2 Sets Record With Nearly 4 Million ViewersMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:04:00 PM
- Javier Bardem clarifies comments in open letter about Middle East conflictMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 3:43:00 PM
- Netflix Revives The Killing For One Last CaseMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 3:14:00 PM
- From "Sassenach" to Time Travel! Everything You Need to Know About Starz'
It looks like Food Network isn't accepting Paula Deen's apology. In the wake of the 66-year-old celebrity chef's racial slur scandal, a spokeswoman for the network released a statement on Friday, June 21, announcing that she's been fired.
"Food Network will not renew Paula Deen's contract when it expires at the end of this month," a Food Network spokeswoman said in a statement to Us Weekly.
Deen came under fire after admitting last month under oath in a deposition to using racial slurs -- including the N-word -- in the past. After bailing last minute from a scheduled appearance on the "Today" show on Friday to address the scandal, Deen released two video apologies on YouTube.
"I want people to understand that my family and I are not the kind of people that the press say that we are. I've spent the best of 24 years to help myself and others. Your color of skin, your religion, your sexual preference does not matter to me," she said in the second, less rambling message. "I am here to say that I am so sorry. I was wrong, yes. I've worked hard and I've made some mistakes. But that is no excuse."
Deen offered her "sincere apology" and said it "comes from the deepest part of my heart."
The Emmy-winning star began working for the Food Network in 1999.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
From Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz to Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon, take a look at some of Hollywood's strangest couples.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
See how Angelina Jolie's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSmooch Central
From Crowd Ignite