See Mindy Kaling Get Made Over as Marge Simpson!
- Photo: Art Streiber/Glamour1 of 13
- Photo: Enrique RC/PacificCoastNews.com2 of 13
- Photo: Stefanie Keenan/WireImage3 of 13
- Photo: Sam Sharma/Pacific Coast News4 of 13
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage5 of 13
- Photo: Vivien Killilea/WireImage6 of 13
- Photo: WireImage.com7 of 13
- Photo: Vince Bucci/Invision/AP8 of 13
- Photo: NBC9 of 13
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage.com10 of 13
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com11 of 13
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP12 of 13
More Celeb News
- Meagan Good Rips Fans for Reposting Her Leaked Nude Photos: 'You Should Be Ashamed&aposMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 2:24:00 PM
- 8 Things That Will and 2 Things That (Probably) Won't Happen on Big Bang Theory Season 8MSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 2:19:00 PM
- Leonardo DiCaprio Adds Star Power to People's Climate March in New YorkMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 12:41:00 PM
- Scarlett Johansson's 'Lucy' Crosses $250 Million at Overseas Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 12:05:00 PM
- Lauryn Hill Slammed on Twitter for 'Utter Shi-' Performance and 90 Minute Late ArrMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 11:38:00 AM
- Meagan Good Rips Fans for Reposting Her Leaked Nude Photos: 'You Should Be Ashamed&apos
Homer Simpson might get the majority of the laughs, but Mindy Kaling says she owes her offbeat sense of humor to a different cartoon trailblazer: his wife, Marge.
In an interview with Glamour, the former "Office" star, whose new show, "The Mindy Project," debuts on FOX on Sept. 25, opens up about how important "The Simpsons" was to her as a kid. (Kaling, 33, even channels Bart, Lisa and Maggie's mom in the accompanying shoot, rocking a green strapless dress, oversized orange pearls, and that iconic, sky-high blue 'do.)
"Growing up, I remember my parents feeling a little wary of 'The Simpsons,'" Kaling explains. "This was in the late '80s and there was a wave of articles about TV shows that were bad for America. Then we all started watching it and loved it. Marge Simpson is the one who's really funny. Her character looks so crazy, but then she's supposed to be totally demure. I think ['Simpsons' creator] Matt Groening is a genius for giving her that hair."
The actress also dishes about how, even in the decade or so she's been in show biz, things have changed dramatically for women in comedy.
"It used to be that you had to make female TV characters perfect so no one would be offended by your 'portrayal' of women," Kaling says. "Even when I started out on 'The Office' eight years ago, we could write our male characters funny and flawed, but not the women. And now, thankfully, it's completely different."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Take a peek at Jessica Simpson’s kissy Instagram feed on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
From Crowd Ignite