- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com1 of 6
- Photo: Splash News2 of 6
- Photo: TwitPic/.3 of 6
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage.com4 of 6
- Photo: FS2/WENN5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Box Office: Lucy Tops HerculesMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 3:13:00 PM
- 'Godzilla' Storms Japan but 'Dawn of the Planet of Apes' Rules WMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 12:47:00 PM
- 'Following' Producers, Stars Reveal Alternate Season 2 Ending, Preview 'RMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 12:46:00 PM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 3:17 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 12:17:05 PM
- Comic-Con's dark side: Harassment amid the fantasyMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 12:16:57 PM
- Box Office: Lucy Tops Hercules
By Kat Giantis
Was David Arquette's New Year's resolution to lay off the sauce? TMZ reports the actor, who recently admitted to Howard Stern that he had been "drinking a lot" since separating from wife Courteney Cox, checked into rehab over the holiday weekend.
RELATED: The year in hookups and breakups
"He is in there for drinking and depression, not hard drugs. Rehab was inevitable," a source tells People magazine, which confirmed the check-in with David's rep. "He can't handle all the changes in his life. All his inner demons came out."
TMZ says he decided to get help because it's "the right thing to do for his family." David, 39, who reportedly rang in 2011 at Beacher's Madhouse in Los Angeles, is dad to 6-year-old Coco with Cox.
"He's trying to win Courteney back, and he turned back to drinking again out of frustration," an insider explains to Us. "He is doing this to show her he means it and will do anything for her and Coco. He wants his family life back. It's been so hard on him."
He also revealed that he was drinking too much "because I'm heartbroken."
"Everybody's worried and concerned about me," he admitted. "When I drink, I become a maniac."
David recalled how he overindulged during a party at Adam Sandler's house and failed to recognize Tom Cruise.
"I was a little wasted," he explained. "Someone says 'Hi David!' and I said, 'Hi Sean!' Then I realized it was Tom Cruise ... Tom was cool about it ... I was so embarrassed. I was like 'I gotta get the [bleep] out of here.'"
But Arquette told Howard he was done with partying: "When you wake up and reality hits you, it's hard."
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSexy Sweeties
From Crowd Ignite