Rob Lowe recalls talking with Monica Lewinsky about 'The West Wing'
- Photo: Corredor99/Invision/AP1 of 7
- Photo: Anonymous/Invision/AP2 of 7
- Photo: HELENE C. STIKKEL/Invision/AP3 of 7
- Photo: FayesVision/WENN4 of 7
- Photo: BJJ/Fame Flynet5 of 7
- Photo: Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Report: Joan Rivers Being Taken Out of ComaMSNEntertainment 9/1/2014 2:46:00 PM
- 'Saved by the Bell' Casting Director on Returning for the Movie, Why Finding a NewMSNEntertainment 9/1/2014 11:11:00 AM
- VENICE WATCH: McDormand hails female storiesMSNEntertainment 9/1/2014 10:20:02 AM
- 'Guardians' tops Labor Day, summer box officeMSNEntertainment 9/1/2014 10:07:27 AM
- Jennifer Lawrence requests nude pics investigationMSNEntertainment 9/1/2014 9:43:01 AM
- Report: Joan Rivers Being Taken Out of Coma
Only in the '90s! Rob Lowe isn't just the narrator of National Geographic's "The '90s: The Last Great Decade?" special -- he's also one of its interviewees. Entertainment Weekly shared a clip from the upcoming miniseries on Tuesday, July 1, in which the "Parks and Recreation" actor recounts a truly original 1990s moment: meeting Monica Lewinsky on a plane as he was getting ready to star in Aaron Sorkin's White House drama "The West Wing."
"The West Wing," about a fictional U.S. President (Martin Sheen) and his senior staff, premiered on NBC in September 1999, almost exactly a year after Kenneth Starr detailed Lewinsky's affair with then-President Bill Clinton in the Starr Report.
"I think two or three days before we filmed the 'West Wing' pilot, I was reading the script and studying my lines on a plane," Lowe, now 50, recalls in the clip. "And I got the feeling of someone watching you -- you know how that can be? -- and I looked up across the aisle, and it was Monica Lewinsky."
"I had this moment, I thought, 'You know what? I gotta say this to her,'" he continues. "And I said, 'Listen, I just want you to know something. I'm about to do a show called 'The West Wing.' It's about the presidency. I think people are going to pay a lot of attention to it. And I just want you to know we're not doing anything about ... you know, so you don't need to worry.'"
Lewinsky, now 40, recalls the encounter, too. She says he was with his wife, Sheryl Berkoff, on a plane to Canada at the time. "I remember walking away thinking, 'Oh, he's a good guy,'" she says in the Nat Geo doc, her first televised interview since 2003. "'And I was right to have had a huge crush on him when I was a teenager.'"
Get Mariah and Nick's marital woe breakdown on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See where Hollywood's A-listers have spent the summer.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Gwyneth Paltrow, get the romance rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Lea Michele, Megan Fox, and Kate Walsh all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTFirst Date Ready!
From Crowd Ignite