Robin Roberts Feeling 'Energized' After Bone Marrow TransplantRelated: Robin Roberts
- Photo: ABC News/.1 of 2
More Celeb News
- ABC's 'Revenge' Ups Gretchen Berg, Aaron Harberts to Executive ProducersMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 5:08:58 PM
- Carole King Hits D.C. for Gershwin Salute MSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 5:03:12 PM
- Zac Efron Will Get Busted With Cocaine in Fox's 'Narc'MSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 5:00:27 PM
- Universal's 'Endless Love' Hitting Theaters on Valentine's DayMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 4:47:06 PM
- TLC's 'Little Couple' Preview: A Crash Course in Parenting (Exclusive VidMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 4:21:51 PM
- ABC's 'Revenge' Ups Gretchen Berg, Aaron Harberts to Executive Producers
Finally, Robin Roberts can officially focus on healing.
The beloved "Good Morning America" anchor, 51, underwent a long-awaited bone marrow transplant Thursday in New York and now begins her road to recovery. Injected with millions of stem cells harvested from her sister, Sally-Ann Roberts, the journalist sang her favorite songs -- including "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" -- and chatted with friends in the time before Thursday's five-minute procedure.
Among those in Roberts' hospital room to support her? Sally-Ann, their sister Dorothy, and Roberts' ABC colleagues Diane Sawyer and Sam Champion. "I don't think I will ever forget the power and love that was in that room," GMA weatherman Champion said on Friday's show, showing a video clip filmed during the procedure. He added that his friend's "spirits were high" on that important day.
Once Dr. Sergio Giralt injected the stem cells, those in Roberts' hospital room erupted into a round of applause. "Sally, you're in me," Roberts said.
"I think the Hebrew translation of 'blessings' is 'more life,'" explained Sawyer, "and we left with more life because of her."
Appearing on "GMA" Friday, Roberts' oncologist Dr. Gail Roboz revealed that the next seven to 10 days are especially critical for the recovering Roberts, who had the transplant to treat MDS, a rare blood disorder.
Her blood will be checked several times a day to monitor her white blood cell count, but Roberts is already thinking about the next phase of her recovery. Roboz described her patient as "energized" post-transplant, and revealed that Roberts sent her an email Friday morning saying that she "wanted to go home -- with an exclamation point."
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Robin Roberts Feeling "Energized" After Bone Marrow Transplant
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Robin Roberts Thanks Fans for Their Support Before Transplant
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
Who Am I?
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite