Rosie O'Donnell's Fiancee, Michelle Rounds, Diagnosed With Rare Tumors
- Photo: John Parra/Getty Images North America1 of 8
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage2 of 8
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage3 of 8
- Photo: Steve Sands/Bauer-Griffin4 of 8
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage5 of 8
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage6 of 8
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage7 of 8
More Celeb News
- 'New Girl's' Max Greenfield Confirms He's Returning for &apoMSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 12:51:14 PM
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' to Be Directed by Sam Taylor-JohnsonMSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 12:38:59 PM
- 'Ender's Game' Producer Linda McDonough Exits OddLot Entertainment to ProMSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 12:33:32 PM
- Has Jay-Z's 'Magna Carta Holy Grail' Album Gone Platinum Before Its ReleaMSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 12:33:15 PM
- Imagen Awards Nominate 'Chicago Fire,' 'Scandal,' 'GreyMSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 12:20:12 PM
- 'New Girl's' Max Greenfield Confirms He's Returning for &apo
Rosie O'Donnell is standing by her fiancée, Michelle Rounds, for the biggest challenge of her life.
On Friday, the 50-year-old comedian and talk show host revealed on her blog that, after months of unexplained pain and "medical mystery," Rounds has been diagnosed with desmoid tumors, an extremely rare, cancer-like disease.
Rounds, whom O'Donnell calls "Mish," awoke on Mother's Day to "morning pain that won't let up."
As doctors struggled to diagnose Rounds' condition, "We wander thru the maze of medical mystery confused – scared . . .undiagnosed – again and again, her pain grew worse," O'Donnell wrote. "It seemed impossible no one knew what was wrong."
Finally, doctors diagnosed Rounds with desmoid tumors, which O'Donnell calls "odd and curious beasts . . . a non-cancer that acts cancerous."
According to the website for the Desmoid Tumor Research Foundation, the extremely rare disease, also known as aggressive fibromatoses, arises from connective tissue, with approximately 900 new cases occurring each year in the U.S. Although desmoid tumors cannot metastasize like more well-known cancers, they can destroy adjacent normal tissues, including bone, and can be fatally destructive.
Rounds is "recovering from surgery in June, getting stronger every day," writes O'Donnell.
As a result of the diagnosis, the couple, who got engaged in late December, have delayed their wedding to summer 2013. In lieu of gifts, they ask for donations to be made to the Desmoid Tumor Research Foundation.
"Good thoughts, wishes, prayers all welcomed," O'Donnell wrote.
Prior to the discovery of Rounds' disease, she had been seeing a fertility doctor in the hopes of conceiving a child. O'Donnell revealed back in January that Rounds was "trying to get pregnant."
Their nuptials had been planned to take place in Long Island, where O'Donnell grew up.
RELATED FROM WONDERWALL:
- Maria Menounos -- Wonderview
- Lisa Vanderpump -- Wonderview
- Adriana Lima -- Wonderview
- 'Jersey Shore' star Ronnie Ortiz-Magro -- Wonderview
- Gavin DeGraw -- Wonderview
- Sean Lowe -- Wonderview
- Jonathan Lipnicki -- Wonderview
- Rob Kardashian -- Wonderview
- Wonderview: Miranda Kerr
- Wonderview -- Brandi Glanville
- Brad Goreski -- Wonderview
- Holly Madison -- Wonderview
- Wonderview: Anne Heche
- Farrah Abraham Wonderview
- Kat Graham Wonderview
- Wonderview: Shannen Doherty
- Dita Von Teese Wonderview
- Rachel Dratch Wonderview
- Wonderview: Keenan Cahill
- Adrian Grenier Wonderview
- Sammi Sweetheart -- Wonderview
- Lisa Vanderpump -- Wonderview
- Tracey Gold -- Wonderview
- Taye Diggs -- Wonderview
- Adrienne Maloof and Dr. Paul Nassif -- Wonderview
- Jodie Sweetin and Dave Coulier -- Wonderview
- Jill Zarin -- Wonderview
- Bridget Marquardt -- Wonderview
- Avril Lavigne -- Wonderview
- Harry Shum Jr. -- Wonderview
- Olivia Munn -- Wonderview
- Mayim Bialik -- Wonderview
- Moby -- Wonderview
- Ahna O'Reilly -- Wonderview
- Michelle Williams -- Wonderview
- Pauly Shore -- Wonderview
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of Kim Kardashian's tightest outfits.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
From Jennifer Lawrence to Rihanna, see the best off-season celeb bikini bods.Watch Video »
Two months after major marital problems, Ozzy and Sharon do a Hollywood date night on Celebs gone Social.Watch Video »
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
See how this former Calvin Klein model's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite