Rosie O'Donnell's Fiancee, Michelle Rounds, Diagnosed With Rare Tumors
- Photo: John Parra/Getty Images North America1 of 8
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage2 of 8
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage3 of 8
- Photo: Steve Sands/Bauer-Griffin4 of 8
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage5 of 8
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage6 of 8
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage7 of 8
More Celeb News
- AP Top Entertainment News At 3:25 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 8/23/2014 12:25:10 PM
- Man fatally shot backstage at California concertMSNEntertainment 8/23/2014 12:25:01 PM
- Snake Bites Nicki Minaj's Backup Dancer at VMA RehearsalMSNEntertainment 8/23/2014 10:15:00 AM
- VIDEO: Watch the First Five Minutes of Lifetime's Saved By the Bell MovieMSNEntertainment 8/23/2014 8:31:00 AM
- Iggy Azalea Posts Video of Stage Fall on InstagramMSNEntertainment 8/23/2014 8:24:00 AM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 3:25 p.m. EDT
Rosie O'Donnell is standing by her fiancée, Michelle Rounds, for the biggest challenge of her life.
On Friday, the 50-year-old comedian and talk show host revealed on her blog that, after months of unexplained pain and "medical mystery," Rounds has been diagnosed with desmoid tumors, an extremely rare, cancer-like disease.
Rounds, whom O'Donnell calls "Mish," awoke on Mother's Day to "morning pain that won't let up."
As doctors struggled to diagnose Rounds' condition, "We wander thru the maze of medical mystery confused – scared . . .undiagnosed – again and again, her pain grew worse," O'Donnell wrote. "It seemed impossible no one knew what was wrong."
Finally, doctors diagnosed Rounds with desmoid tumors, which O'Donnell calls "odd and curious beasts . . . a non-cancer that acts cancerous."
According to the website for the Desmoid Tumor Research Foundation, the extremely rare disease, also known as aggressive fibromatoses, arises from connective tissue, with approximately 900 new cases occurring each year in the U.S. Although desmoid tumors cannot metastasize like more well-known cancers, they can destroy adjacent normal tissues, including bone, and can be fatally destructive.
Rounds is "recovering from surgery in June, getting stronger every day," writes O'Donnell.
As a result of the diagnosis, the couple, who got engaged in late December, have delayed their wedding to summer 2013. In lieu of gifts, they ask for donations to be made to the Desmoid Tumor Research Foundation.
"Good thoughts, wishes, prayers all welcomed," O'Donnell wrote.
Prior to the discovery of Rounds' disease, she had been seeing a fertility doctor in the hopes of conceiving a child. O'Donnell revealed back in January that Rounds was "trying to get pregnant."
Their nuptials had been planned to take place in Long Island, where O'Donnell grew up.
RELATED FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
Check out the many sexy bikinis Jessica Alba has rocked over the years.Watch Video »
From Gwen Stefani to Britney Spears, check out some of the best all-time style moments from the Teen Choice Awards.Watch Video »
From Gisele Bundchen to Kerry Washington and more stars who've married football stars.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTFashion Offenders
From Crowd Ignite