Rosie O'Donnell's Fiancee, Michelle Rounds, Diagnosed With Rare Tumors
- Photo: John Parra/Getty Images North America1 of 8
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage2 of 8
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage3 of 8
- Photo: Steve Sands/Bauer-Griffin4 of 8
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage5 of 8
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage6 of 8
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage7 of 8
More Celeb News
- 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducteesMSNEntertainment 5/17/2013 4:24:15 PM
- Why 'The Great Gatsby' Reveals A Huge Divide Between Hollywood And Its Fans (VideoMSNEntertainment 5/17/2013 4:15:45 PM
- Oscar Winner Ari Sandel to Direct 'The DUFF' for CBS Films (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 5/17/2013 3:55:03 PM
- Justin Bieber Spanked Over Monkey Lodging FeesMSNEntertainment 5/17/2013 3:32:00 PM
- '21 Jump Street' Villain Rob Riggle Joins Fox Comedy 'Let's Be CMSNEntertainment 5/17/2013 3:20:36 PM
- 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees
Rosie O'Donnell is standing by her fiancée, Michelle Rounds, for the biggest challenge of her life.
On Friday, the 50-year-old comedian and talk show host revealed on her blog that, after months of unexplained pain and "medical mystery," Rounds has been diagnosed with desmoid tumors, an extremely rare, cancer-like disease.
Rounds, whom O'Donnell calls "Mish," awoke on Mother's Day to "morning pain that won't let up."
As doctors struggled to diagnose Rounds' condition, "We wander thru the maze of medical mystery confused – scared . . .undiagnosed – again and again, her pain grew worse," O'Donnell wrote. "It seemed impossible no one knew what was wrong."
Finally, doctors diagnosed Rounds with desmoid tumors, which O'Donnell calls "odd and curious beasts . . . a non-cancer that acts cancerous."
According to the website for the Desmoid Tumor Research Foundation, the extremely rare disease, also known as aggressive fibromatoses, arises from connective tissue, with approximately 900 new cases occurring each year in the U.S. Although desmoid tumors cannot metastasize like more well-known cancers, they can destroy adjacent normal tissues, including bone, and can be fatally destructive.
Rounds is "recovering from surgery in June, getting stronger every day," writes O'Donnell.
As a result of the diagnosis, the couple, who got engaged in late December, have delayed their wedding to summer 2013. In lieu of gifts, they ask for donations to be made to the Desmoid Tumor Research Foundation.
"Good thoughts, wishes, prayers all welcomed," O'Donnell wrote.
Prior to the discovery of Rounds' disease, she had been seeing a fertility doctor in the hopes of conceiving a child. O'Donnell revealed back in January that Rounds was "trying to get pregnant."
Their nuptials had been planned to take place in Long Island, where O'Donnell grew up.
RELATED FROM WONDERWALL:
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 17, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 16, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 15, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 14, 2013
- 7 Most Outrageous Gwyneth Paltrow Quotes
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 10, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 9, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 8, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 7, 2013
- 7 Best Bikini Bods
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 3, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 2, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 1, 2013
Selena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
Florence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite