Savannah Guthrie 'felt bad' for Kate Gosselin's twins during interview
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Bravo/NBCU Photo Bank/Promotional1 of 10
- Photo: The Today Show/Peter Kramer/NBC2 of 10
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/AP3 of 10
- Photo: NBC / Inset: WENN/Promotional4 of 10
- Photo: JGA/ZOJ/WENN5 of 10
- Photo: BEN KING/StarTraks6 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage7 of 10
- Photo: TLC/Promotional8 of 10
- Photo: Nathanael Jones/PacificCoastNews.com9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Watch This Tonight: The Real Housewives of New York CityMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 7:07:00 AM
- Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz, Pedro Almodovar Condemn Israel for Gaza AttacksMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 7:04:00 AM
- Ethan Hawke, Kevin Smith, Jean-Luc Godard Among New Crop of Directors Sending Films to TorontoMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 6:58:00 AM
- Die Hard Star James Shigeta Dies at 81MSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 6:49:00 AM
- Earnings: New York Times Co. Profit Down 21% in Q2MSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 6:43:00 AM
- Watch This Tonight: The Real Housewives of New York City
That (incredibly!) awkward moment! Even Savannah Guthrie thought her recent sit-down with Kate Gosselin and twins Mady and Cara was "crazy." "Today" show co-anchors Guthrie and Matt Lauer both appeared on "Watch What Happens Live!" on Jan. 23 -- and had plenty to share with host Andy Cohen.
"I was really surprised," Guthrie said in response to a caller who asked about the live-broadcast interview with Kate, 38, and the twins, 13. "They came on, and I thought the girls had something on their minds -- they wanted to get it off their chests."
Instead, the two girls remained notoriously silent throughout the painful chat that ultimately led their mother Kate to scold them on live television. "Mady, what would you want to say about how you and your sister and your family are doing?" Guthrie asked during one part of the Jan. 16 segment. "Um…" the twin responded. "Mady, your words -- It's your chance, spit it out," demanded her 38-year-old mother.
NBC star Guthrie, 42, continued, "I was really sympathetic to them. It's not easy to get on national television -- this isn't something they do every day, live every morning."
"They're 13-year-old girls," she continued. "I felt bad for them."
Cohen, who has expressed his dislike for the Gosselin family matriarch via Twitter, asked Guthrie, "In the galaxy of appearing unlikeable, has Kate Gosselin appeared more unlikeable?" With a laugh, the always diplomatic morning show host responded, "Is this the 'I plead the 5th' segment?"
In another part of Thursday's sit down, Cohen asked: "During the Kate Gosselin interview were you thinking, 'this is incredible television' or 'how do i wrangle this back?'"
"I honestly was just thinking, this is crazy," responded Guthrie. "Does it look as crazy [as it feels on the inside]?" she wondered during her sit-down with the reality show trio. "Then I checked my twitter feed… then I saw Matt after," she confirmed with a laugh. "It was insane."
"I guess I always give people the benefit of the doubt," she said. "Unless they're politicians."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTerrible Trends
From Crowd Ignite