Seinfeld's back on TV, sort of, for 'Marriage Ref'Related: Alec Baldwin, Eva Longoria, Tina Fey, Snooki
- Photo: AP1 of 6
- Photo: Thomas Myers/Retna Ltd.2 of 6
- Photo: DOUGLAS C. PIZAC/AP3 of 6
- Photo: Dave Allocca/AP4 of 6
- Photo: AP5 of 6
More Celeb News
- MTV's 'Teen Wolf' Star Dylan O'Brien Eyed for DreamWorks&apoMSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 4:48:07 PM
- Review: Spirited, sexy version of 'Master Builder'MSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 4:42:37 PM
- Lease to Broadway's biggest theater soldMSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 4:31:38 PM
- Blossoming VOD Service Viewster Adds BBC's 'Skins,' Starz and Shine ProgrMSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 4:26:11 PM
- Ray Manzarek Death: 5 Must-See Performances (Video)MSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 4:23:37 PM
- MTV's 'Teen Wolf' Star Dylan O'Brien Eyed for DreamWorks&apo
NEW YORK (AP) -- A few things seem reasonably certain about NBC's new series, "Marriage Ref":
It probably won't spotlight Snooki from "Jersey Shore." It probably won't get any politicians riled up. It probably won't do any worse in the ratings than most of NBC's shows.
But all this is raw conjecture. No more than a handful of video bites have been released to critics, even though the show was announced a year ago. Despite incessant promotion by NBC (hey, viewer, you like a little Olympic coverage with your "Marriage Ref" commercials?), vagueness cloaks the whole high-profile project.
One sure thing: Jerry Seinfeld is the high-profile draw. He's the driving force whose very name conjures up a certain series that ended a dozen years ago after transforming TV comedy and helping fuel the glory days NBC will never know again. No wonder "Seinfeld," even after all this time, is the magic word for a new show viewers might otherwise not even have noticed.
Trouble is, Seinfeld will mostly stay out of sight in his primary duties as a co-creator and producer. Instead, he has bequeathed the on-camera role — the title role of Marriage Ref — to actor/standup/not-a- household-name Tom Papa.
One other sure thing: "Marriage Ref" will be unveiled with flourish as a so-called sneak preview Sunday at 10:30 p.m. EST — a half-hour version strategically following the Winter Olympics' closing ceremony. Finally, for better or worse, "Marriage Ref" goes public.
After that, starting March 4, it will air for eight Thursdays at 10 p.m.
But for now, random clues must suffice.
The network pitches the show as a humorous, all-in-fun hour where "disputes between real-life couples are revealed, examined and ultimately judged."
In front of a studio audience, a rotating panel of celebrity "experts" will screen prerecorded clips of those real-life couples having real-life spats: Should the wife let her husband park his Harley in the living room? When the family dog dies, should or shouldn't it be stuffed and displayed?
Then, after pondering the evidence and hearing panelists' arguments, Papa will make his call in favor of either the husband or the wife.
That's "Marriage Ref." Sounds simple enough.
As Seinfeld articulated (or tried to) at a Los Angeles press gathering last month, "There's no way here today that we are going to be ... able to explain to you exactly what the show is. ... I don't even think we could nail down the type of show it is."
It's a hybrid form, he insisted, "never brought together in this recipe before." And he promised "there's no question that you're going to watch us and go, 'Well, this feels unlike anything I've ever seen.'"
Wow, Jerry makes "Marriage Ref" sound even cooler than curling!
"We're going to end fights all around the country, once and for all," cracked the Ref himself, Tom Papa.
But Seinfeld quickly jumped in to set the record straight: This show is all about laughing, not helping.
"We're not presuming to HELP these people," Seinfeld declared. "We're not going to fix your marriage!"
So, in a TV landscape saturated ad nauseam with how-to advice, one thing seems refreshingly clear about "Marriage Ref": At least, it's no "Dr. Phil."
NBC is owned by The General Electric co.
On the Net:
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Queen's FeastBeyonce had a major feast in Dublin, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bump DebutSelena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
- Beers With BieberJustin Bieber shares photos of his beer-drinking safari on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Missing Miley?Get the scoop on the newest breakup rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Visiting U.S.Prince Harry is visiting the United States again, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite