Settlement reached in guardianship of Ariel Winter
- Photo: Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP1 of 11
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage2 of 11
- Photo: Fame Flynet3 of 11
- Photo: Earl Gipson/.4 of 11
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP5 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage6 of 11
- Photo: @arielwinter/Instagram7 of 11
- Photo: Kevin Parry/The Paley Center for Media/.8 of 11
- Photo: Todd Williamson/Invision/AP9 of 11
- Photo: Todd Williamson/Invision/AP10 of 11
More Celeb News
- 'The View' Taps Lauren Sanchez to Guest-HostMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Brett Ratner to Produce Donna Tartt's 'The Goldfinch' for Warner Bros.MSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:39:00 PM
- Sherri Shepherd Joins Ice Cube, Kevin Hart in 'Ride Along 2' for First Post-&aMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:04:00 PM
- Comic-Con 'Zombie Walk' Accident: Fate of Next Year's Event Is UncertainMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:04:00 PM
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Creator Kurt Sutter Signs New Overall Deal With 20th TVMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:00:00 PM
- 'The View' Taps Lauren Sanchez to Guest-Host
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- "Modern Family" actress Ariel Winter will keep living with her adult sister after an agreement was reached Monday with the mother of Winter in a long-running guardianship dispute.
RELATED: Amazing celebrity career comebacks
The agreement was reached just before a trial was set to begin on who would care for the 16-year-old actress.
Winter's mother Chrisoula Workman agreed to drop her objections to the guardianship if her daughter could watch a video montage of family photos before court adjourned.
Superior Court Judge Daniel Murphy agreed, and Winter and her sister Shanelle Gray sat in court and dabbed their eyes with a tissues as photos of their childhood played. Winter left court without speaking, but Murphy said it would be up to her to decide whether she would visit with her mother.
RELATED: Like us on Facebook?
Winter has been living with Gray since 2012, when a temporary guardianship was established amid allegations that Workman was subjecting her daughter to physical and emotional abuse.
Another judge previously said an initial report by child protective services found evidence of emotional abuse, but claims of physical abuse were deemed inconclusive. Subsequent reports have not been described in court.
"I have never abused my daughter," Workman reiterated Monday.
Winter's father will have control of the actress' finances and will have to make reports to the court. Murphy said he would retain jurisdiction over the actress and her care until she turns 18.
After the proceedings, Gray and Workman issued a joint statement saying, "The family has moved beyond the conflict."
The statement said they were working toward reconciliation and thanked well-wishers.
Several supporters of Chrisoula Workman who attended the proceedings applauded the settlement announcement.
RELATED: Hollywood's nastiest custody battles
Winter, who has been acting since age 7, plays Alex Dunphy on the popular and critically acclaimed ABC series. She also has appeared in movies such as "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang."
Winter's brother, actor Jimmy Workman, had asked that the courtroom be closed while the video montage was played, but Murphy refused. Jimmy Workman, who played Pugsley Addams in "The Addams Family" films, excused himself from the courtroom at one point and wept after Murphy formally granted Gray guardianship of his sister.
Guardianship cases in California are public record. Gray's attorneys requested the case and its proceedings be sealed, but a judge has refused. The case was filed under Ariel's birth name, Ariel Workman.
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
Find out where the cast from "When Harry Met Sally" is today.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTerrible Trends
From Crowd Ignite