Shonda Rhimes disses Katherine Heigl in interview with Oprah WinfreyRelated: Katherine Heigl
- Photo: Dave Allocca/StarTraks1 of 17
- Photo: Retna Ltd.2 of 17
- Photo: BJJ/Fame Flynet3 of 17
- Photo: NORMAN SCOTT/StarTraks4 of 17
- Photo: Willi Schneider/Rex USA5 of 17
- Photo: LEON/GSI6 of 17
- Photo: Fame Flynet7 of 17
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage8 of 17
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage9 of 17
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage10 of 17
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage11 of 17
- Photo: SC/BB/Fame Flynet12 of 17
- Photo: Fame Flynet13 of 17
- Photo: ADTJ JAXN STFN/GSI/.14 of 17
- Photo: GSI / ADTJ JAXN STFN/.15 of 17
- Photo: GSI / ADTJ JAXN STFN/.16 of 17
More Celeb News
- AP Top Premium Entertainment Headlines At 3:07 a.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 9:33:03 PM
- AP Top Premium Entertainment Headlines At 6:11 a.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 9:33:03 PM
- 'World War Z' VFX Studio Will Open China OfficeMSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 8:35:04 PM
- Bryan Cranston Dishes on His 'Power Rangers' Past (Video)MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 8:35:01 PM
- Some of Tony Soprano's memorable linesMSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 8:31:25 PM
- AP Top Premium Entertainment Headlines At 3:07 a.m. EDT
Grey's Anatomy has had some pretty sensational storylines -- bomb explosions, plane crashes, mass shootings, etc. -- but not all of the drama happens onscreen.
Four years ago, series star Katherine Heigl caused a bit of a stir on set when she withdrew her name from Emmy consideration because she felt she hadn't been "given the material to warrant a nomination." Writers on the show were reportedly miffed, and though Heigl remained on the show for two years after the incident, her relationship with series creator Shonda Rhimes always seemed strained.
Rhimes -- who also created the Grey's spinoff Private Practice and the political drama Scandal, starring Kerry Washington -- recently sat down with Oprah Winfrey for an Oprah's Next Chapter interview airing Sunday, Dec. 9, on OWN. Among the topics they covered? Heigl's infamous Emmy snub.
"On some level it stung, and on some level I was not surprised," the Grey's head writer, 42, tells Oprah in a teaser for the interview. "When people show you who they are, believe them. I carry that with me a lot. It has served me well."
Heigl, 34, left the medical drama in 2010 to pursue film projects and spend more time with her family -- she and husband Josh Kelley adopted daughters Naleigh and Adalaide in fall 2009 and spring 2012, respectively -- but earlier this year, she expressed interest in returning to Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital to close out her character's arc.
"I've told them I want to," the Knocked Up actress told E! News in January. "I really, really, really want to see where [Izzie Stevens] is. I just want to know what happened to her and where she went and what she's doing now. My idea is that she actually, like, figures it out, and finds some success and does really well in a different hospital."
Rhimes had other ideas, and none of them involved Izzie -- or Heigl. "I think it was really nice to hear her appreciating the show. At the same time we are on a track we have been planning," she told TV Guide in response to the star's wish to reprise her role. "The idea of changing that track is not something we are interested in right now."
Rhimes says she's grown a lot since that experience and, in general, during her nine years as a show runner. Speaking to Oprah about her greatest accomplishment over that time, she says: "I think I'm most proud of the fact that I have figured out how to exist as both a creative person and artist, and a businesswoman and manager. Because those two things do not go together."
"For a long time," she continues, "I really had a hard time with the idea that I was supposed to be this person who lived inside her head and created things but also managed a bunch of people and had to lead a group of people. And those two things have sort of come together. And I'm really proud of how that works now."
ALSO ON WONDERWALL:
- Fashion Offenders for June 14, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for June 6, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for May 31, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for May 24, 2013.
- Fashion Offenders for May 17, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for May 10, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for May 3, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for April 26, 2013.
- Fashion Offenders for April 19, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for April 12, 2013.
- Fashion Offenders for April 5, 2013.
- Fashion Offenders for March 29, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for March 22, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for March 15, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for March 8, 2013
Check out some of Kim Kardashian's tightest outfits.Watch Video »
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Ashley Greene reveals a painful wound from a wild Bali vacation on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
From Jennifer Lawrence to Rihanna, see the best off-season celeb bikini bods.Watch Video »
Two months after major marital problems, Ozzy and Sharon do a Hollywood date night on Celebs gone Social.Watch Video »
From David Beckham to Ben Affleck, check out Hollywood's hottest dads.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite