Shriver files to divorce Schwarzenegger
- Photo: MWA/ZOJ/Michael Wright/WENN1 of 8
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP2 of 8
- Photo: RSD/BSB/ZO6/WENN3 of 8
- Photo: VPC/WENN4 of 8
- Photo: AN2/WENN5 of 8
- Photo: Invision/AP6 of 8
- Photo: CD1/WENN7 of 8
More Celeb News
- 'Lilyhammer' Star Steven Van Zandt on His Place in TV History, Mandela and (PossibMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 3:18:15 PM
- TheWrap Screening Series: 'Porcelain Horse' Writer-Director on the 'ExpecMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 2:58:39 PM
- Award-Winning Producers to Finance Documentary About Forgotten Film Legend (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 2:58:13 PM
- Obama Nominates Sony's Tom Rothman to National Council on the ArtsMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 2:47:27 PM
- 'American Hustle' and 'Saving Mr. Banks' Hit Box Office in Heat MSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 1:44:28 PM
- 'Lilyhammer' Star Steven Van Zandt on His Place in TV History, Mandela and (Possib
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Six weeks after Arnold Schwarzenegger revealed he had fathered a child out of wedlock, his wife, Maria Shriver, filed divorce papers Friday to end their marriage of 25 years.
The former television journalist and Kennedy family heir cited irreconcilable differences but offered no additional details about the breakup.
RELATED: Expensive Celeb Divorces
She also did not list a date when the couple separated, although they announced they had done so on May 9. A week later, the former action star and former governor admitted he fathered a child with a member of his household staff years ago.
Shriver's filing does not indicate the couple has a prenuptial agreement, which likely means Schwarzenegger's earnings from his career as a Hollywood megastar will be evenly divided with his estranged wife.
The couple were married in 1986 and have four children together, including two sons who are still minors. Shriver's petition seeks joint custody of those sons, ages, 17 and 13.
Schwarzenegger's spokesman Adam Mendelsohn declined comment in an email. Shriver's attorney Laura Wasser did not immediately return a phone message seeking comment.
Shriver stood by her husband's side as he ran for California's governorship in 2003 even after the Los Angeles Times reported accusations by several women that they had been groped by the movie star.
Schwarzenegger later said he "behaved badly sometimes" and was twice elected to the governorship.
He failed to fix the state's chronic budget problems and left office in January with an eye toward environmental projects and a return to the big screen.
One of his projects was an animated collaboration with comic book legend Stan Lee titled "The Governator," but the project was shelved after Schwarzenegger admitted fathering the child out of wedlock.
Shriver placed her journalism career on hold while her husband served as governor, and her future has been more uncertain. She has appeared in videos posted on YouTube in which she talks about stress in her life, the weight of expectations and the search for faith in a troubled world.
The filing was first reported by celebrity website TMZ.
From Jenny and Donnie to Amanda and Justin, see more celebs who found new love in 2013.Watch Video »
Kourtney Kardashian hits up the happiest place on Earth on today’s Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Olivia Wilde to Mario Lopez, see which stars have the hottest beach bods of 2013.Watch Video »
Victoria’s Secret Angel Candice Swanepoel talks to WW about wearing the $10 million bra, eating steak, Taylor Swift and if she plans to marry her boyfriend.Watch Video »
Check out the many times Taylor Swift has pulled out her surprise face at award shows.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBabies of 2013
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite