Alicia Silverstone Defends Baby Feeding Technique
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage.com1 of 7
- Photo: MIKE DISCIULLO/Bauer-Griffin2 of 7
- Photo: SCOTT A/KEOLA/Bauer-Griffin3 of 7
- Photo: Apega/WENN4 of 7
- Photo: Amanda Schwab/WENN5 of 7
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Teen Wolf Renewed for a Fifth Season MSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:58:00 PM
- ESPN's SEC Network Scores Carriage Deal With Time Warner Cable, Bright HouseMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:48:00 PM
- Museums plan Piero di Cosimo exhibit in US, ItalyMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:37:49 PM
- Christopher Nolan, Matthew McConaughey Offer Early Look at 'Interstellar'MSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:21:00 PM
- Dwayne Johnson holds surprise 'Hercules' screeningMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:16:28 PM
- Teen Wolf Renewed for a Fifth Season
Alicia Silverstone has defended her controversial practice of feeding her son by passing chewed food directly from her mouth to his.
The actress sparked a parenting debate last month after publishing video footage of herself demonstrating the technique with her son, Bear Blu, with some critics saying the practice is unhygienic.
The "Clueless" star admits she never expected the clip to cause a media storm and insists the tactic has been used by moms for "thousands of years" to help toddlers adjust to solid foods.
She says, "People have been feeding their kids that way for thousands of years. It's a weaning process. ... I think it's adorable and it makes me laugh every time he does it. He attacks my mouth and I think it's adorable. He also knows how to use his hands and he also eats regular food, so when babies are weaning, he still breast-feeds. Some people think that's disgusting too, which is insane. It's just a thing that has been going on for thousands of years."
RELATED: Celebritots With Unusual Names
Despite the backlash, Silverstone has no regrets about sharing the video with online fans, adding, "Every time my husband goes to the YMCA, some guy comes over and says, 'That's how we do it in the South!' Between him getting those great comments and me knowing in my gut it's natural and lovely, I really wasn't trying to tell anybody what to do. I wasn't saying this was anything somebody should do. I wasn't trying to be independent or cause such a ruckus. I'm very glad that I did it."
Bear Blu, 10 months, is Silverstone's child with her husband, Christopher Jarecki.
Kim Kardashian flaunts her bikini bod in two bizarre Instagram video clips on location in Thailand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Nick Cannon shows off a new cheetah print hairstyle on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Gwen Stefani shares photos from behind the scenes of a photo shoot for her Harajuku brand on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham mourns the loss of her bicycle on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSummer Stars
From Crowd Ignite