Alicia Silverstone Defends Baby Feeding Technique
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage.com1 of 7
- Photo: MIKE DISCIULLO/Bauer-Griffin2 of 7
- Photo: SCOTT A/KEOLA/Bauer-Griffin3 of 7
- Photo: Apega/WENN4 of 7
- Photo: Amanda Schwab/WENN5 of 7
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Martin Bashir Resigns From MSNBC After Sarah Palin SlamMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 11:46:58 AM
- R. Kelly's Epic 'Trapped in the Closet' Is Getting More ChaptersMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 11:30:51 AM
- Perez Hilton Starring in 'Gay Dads of New York' Reality ShowMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 11:03:52 AM
- Eddie Izzard Inks Talent Deal With NBC EntertainmentMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 10:45:09 AM
- Conan O'Brien Unlocks the Secret of the Kardashians' Krazy Christmas Card (Video)MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 10:39:07 AM
- Martin Bashir Resigns From MSNBC After Sarah Palin Slam
Alicia Silverstone has defended her controversial practice of feeding her son by passing chewed food directly from her mouth to his.
The actress sparked a parenting debate last month after publishing video footage of herself demonstrating the technique with her son, Bear Blu, with some critics saying the practice is unhygienic.
The "Clueless" star admits she never expected the clip to cause a media storm and insists the tactic has been used by moms for "thousands of years" to help toddlers adjust to solid foods.
She says, "People have been feeding their kids that way for thousands of years. It's a weaning process. ... I think it's adorable and it makes me laugh every time he does it. He attacks my mouth and I think it's adorable. He also knows how to use his hands and he also eats regular food, so when babies are weaning, he still breast-feeds. Some people think that's disgusting too, which is insane. It's just a thing that has been going on for thousands of years."
RELATED: Celebritots With Unusual Names
Despite the backlash, Silverstone has no regrets about sharing the video with online fans, adding, "Every time my husband goes to the YMCA, some guy comes over and says, 'That's how we do it in the South!' Between him getting those great comments and me knowing in my gut it's natural and lovely, I really wasn't trying to tell anybody what to do. I wasn't saying this was anything somebody should do. I wasn't trying to be independent or cause such a ruckus. I'm very glad that I did it."
Bear Blu, 10 months, is Silverstone's child with her husband, Christopher Jarecki.
Taylor Swift shares stunning photos of her time in New Zealand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Get all the pregnancy rumor scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Elsa Pataky to Ginnifer Goodwin, see some of Hollywood's new baby bumps on Wonderwall Replay.Watch Video »
See the first photos of Mario Lopez's newborn son, Dominic Lopez, on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTCause of Death
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite