Alicia Silverstone Defends Baby Feeding Technique
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage.com1 of 7
- Photo: MIKE DISCIULLO/Bauer-Griffin2 of 7
- Photo: SCOTT A/KEOLA/Bauer-Griffin3 of 7
- Photo: Apega/WENN4 of 7
- Photo: Amanda Schwab/WENN5 of 7
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Darth Vader Polling Higher Than Every Single Likely 2016 Presidential CandidateMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 12:28:00 PM
- Sneaky 'Better Call Saul' Teaser Billboard Pops Up in Albuquerque (Photo)MSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 12:11:00 PM
- Chernin Group, AT&T to Buy Controlling Stake in FullscreenMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 12:09:00 PM
- 'Justified' EP Taylor Elmore Signs Overall Deal With CBS Television StudiosMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 12:00:00 PM
- 'Game of Thrones' Michelle Fairley to Rise Again on ABC's 'ResurMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 11:58:00 AM
- Darth Vader Polling Higher Than Every Single Likely 2016 Presidential Candidate
Alicia Silverstone has defended her controversial practice of feeding her son by passing chewed food directly from her mouth to his.
The actress sparked a parenting debate last month after publishing video footage of herself demonstrating the technique with her son, Bear Blu, with some critics saying the practice is unhygienic.
The "Clueless" star admits she never expected the clip to cause a media storm and insists the tactic has been used by moms for "thousands of years" to help toddlers adjust to solid foods.
She says, "People have been feeding their kids that way for thousands of years. It's a weaning process. ... I think it's adorable and it makes me laugh every time he does it. He attacks my mouth and I think it's adorable. He also knows how to use his hands and he also eats regular food, so when babies are weaning, he still breast-feeds. Some people think that's disgusting too, which is insane. It's just a thing that has been going on for thousands of years."
RELATED: Celebritots With Unusual Names
Despite the backlash, Silverstone has no regrets about sharing the video with online fans, adding, "Every time my husband goes to the YMCA, some guy comes over and says, 'That's how we do it in the South!' Between him getting those great comments and me knowing in my gut it's natural and lovely, I really wasn't trying to tell anybody what to do. I wasn't saying this was anything somebody should do. I wasn't trying to be independent or cause such a ruckus. I'm very glad that I did it."
Bear Blu, 10 months, is Silverstone's child with her husband, Christopher Jarecki.
Where Are They?
Find out where the cast from "When Harry Met Sally" is today.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
Sexy & Single
Check out some of Jennifer Lopez's sexiest ensembles she's rocked recently.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTexas Heat
From Crowd Ignite