Sofia Vergara on freezing her eggs: 'They're in the refrigerator'
- Photo: SETH BROWARNIK/StarTraks1 of 10
- Photo: Todd Williamson/Invision/AP2 of 10
- Photo: Fame Flynet3 of 10
- Photo: @sofiavergara/Instagram4 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 10
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/Invision/AP6 of 10
- Photo: OPK/WENN7 of 10
- Photo: Steven Gonzalez/FilmMagic8 of 10
- Photo: Rex USA9 of 10
More Celeb News
- APNewsBreak: Ventura passage to be cut from bookMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 8:12:08 AM
- Quentin Tarantino's 'Hateful Eight' Gets a Bloody Poster and Release DateMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 8:12:00 AM
- Fitz and The Tantrums headline US Open ceremonyMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 7:40:31 AM
- Drew Barrymore's Half-Sister Found Dead; Drew ReactsMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 7:26:00 AM
- Allison Williams to Play Peter Pan in NBC's Live ProductionMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 7:23:00 AM
- APNewsBreak: Ventura passage to be cut from book
Her character on "Modern Family" welcomed a second child earlier this year, and now actress Sofia Vergara is following suit and preparing for motherhood again -- or preparing to prepare, at least. In an interview with "Good Morning America" on Wednesday, the Emmy-nominated star confirmed that she has frozen her eggs in anticipation of expanding her family with fiancé Nick Loeb.
"I just wanted to plan ahead," Vergara, 40, told ABC News of the possibility of more children. (She's already mom to Manolo Gonzalez, 21, from a previous marriage.)
"My boyfriend Nicky is three years younger than me, and he's never had a son," she explained. "I have my son, Manolo, so it's not an emergency for me to have another kid, but for Nicky, he's never had a baby."
With that in mind, she consulted a fertility specialist about freezing her eggs. "Nothing happens that naturally anymore," she said of her options for having more kids at her age. "I wanted to take advantage of science. Why not?"
Asked how far along in the process she was, she exclaimed, "Oh, I took them out already! They're in the refrigerator. Hopefully, they'll be fresh by the time I use them."
Vergara first spoke about her fertility plans in the April issue of Vogue, telling the magazine reporter she had to be careful of what she ate because she was freezing her eggs. At the time, she had yet to have the eggs removed; she was on hormone pills and about to start hormone injections. "They want to get as many good eggs as they can because usually you produce them but they're not good," she explained. "They have to be perfect, perfect, perfect ones."
For now, at least, the eggs will remain on ice, and Vergara can dote on (and worry about) her only son, who attends school in Boston where three people were killed and over one hundred injured on Monday by explosions at the Boston Marathon. Manolo, much to her relief, was out of town at the time.
"I was very fortunate my son had come on the train to New York to visit his girlfriend [this weekend]," she said. "He immediately texted me because he knows I can get crazy. It's unbelievable. It’s heartbreaking. So much unnecessary pain. Hopefully, they can overcome this horrible thing."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Where Are They?
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Paris Hilton, see which stars have the most expensive engagement bling.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBye Baby Bump
From Crowd Ignite