- Photo: Shea Walsh/AP1 of 11
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com2 of 11
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage3 of 11
- Photo: @itsjuliebowen/Twitter4 of 11
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/AP5 of 11
- Photo: M. Caulfield/WireImage6 of 11
- Photo: JOSHUA LOTT/AP7 of 11
- Photo: NBC8 of 11
- Photo: Michael Caulfield/WireImage.com9 of 11
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/AP10 of 11
More Celeb News
- ABC's 'Revenge' Ups Gretchen Berg, Aaron Harberts to Executive ProducersMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 5:08:58 PM
- Carole King Hits D.C. for Gershwin Salute MSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 5:03:12 PM
- Zac Efron Will Get Busted With Cocaine in Fox's 'Narc'MSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 5:00:27 PM
- Universal's 'Endless Love' Hitting Theaters on Valentine's DayMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 4:47:06 PM
- TLC's 'Little Couple' Preview: A Crash Course in Parenting (Exclusive VidMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 4:21:51 PM
- ABC's 'Revenge' Ups Gretchen Berg, Aaron Harberts to Executive Producers
Stephen Colbert has opened up about the death of his dad and brothers in a plane crash, saying it took him almost a decade to come to terms with the tragedy.
RELATED: Sexiest Comedians
The comedian was just 10 years old when his father, James, and older siblings, Paul, 18, and Peter, 15, were killed in 1974 when their jet attempted to land in North Carolina.
In a candid interview with Oprah Winfrey, he reveals the loss became a part of his identity, and he didn't even begin to grieve until he was 18 years old and left home for college.
He says, "For years, I sort of thought that that was my secret name. That the loss was my name, if you know what I mean. ... (The experience) is who you are. I liked the idea that you have a secret name. And that's a name that no one can ever really pronounce, you know, because it's who you are. There's a magic to your secret name."
He continued, "I didn't really feel the loss until I was in college. Then, I was in bad shape. ... I was just so sad about it. I was 10 when they died. It's only eight years later when you go to college. ... It seemed like a long time at the time, but now, at age 48, it seems like the blink of an eye."
Colbert's full interview airs Sunday on "Oprah's Next Chapter."
RELATED: Stephen Colbert's Cartoon Voice
Robert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Who Am I?
Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
Check out some of Kim Kardashian's tightest outfits.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite