- Photo: Shea Walsh/AP1 of 11
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com2 of 11
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage3 of 11
- Photo: @itsjuliebowen/Twitter4 of 11
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/AP5 of 11
- Photo: M. Caulfield/WireImage6 of 11
- Photo: JOSHUA LOTT/AP7 of 11
- Photo: NBC8 of 11
- Photo: Michael Caulfield/WireImage.com9 of 11
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/AP10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Good Morning, Cannes: Robert Redford's All Wet, and So Is the FestMSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 6:04:40 AM
- Celeb birthdays for the week of May 26-June 1MSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 10:01:00 PM
- 6 Lessons Hollywood Needs to Learn From 'The Fast & The Furious'MSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 7:46:16 PM
- YouTube Network FullScreen Hires HBO Go Co-Creator Tim MohnMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 7:46:16 PM
- How an Extreme Movie Makeover Saved 'Fast & Furious' From Going Direct to MSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 7:43:57 PM
- Good Morning, Cannes: Robert Redford's All Wet, and So Is the Fest
Stephen Colbert has opened up about the death of his dad and brothers in a plane crash, saying it took him almost a decade to come to terms with the tragedy.
RELATED: Sexiest Comedians
The comedian was just 10 years old when his father, James, and older siblings, Paul, 18, and Peter, 15, were killed in 1974 when their jet attempted to land in North Carolina.
In a candid interview with Oprah Winfrey, he reveals the loss became a part of his identity, and he didn't even begin to grieve until he was 18 years old and left home for college.
He says, "For years, I sort of thought that that was my secret name. That the loss was my name, if you know what I mean. ... (The experience) is who you are. I liked the idea that you have a secret name. And that's a name that no one can ever really pronounce, you know, because it's who you are. There's a magic to your secret name."
He continued, "I didn't really feel the loss until I was in college. Then, I was in bad shape. ... I was just so sad about it. I was 10 when they died. It's only eight years later when you go to college. ... It seemed like a long time at the time, but now, at age 48, it seems like the blink of an eye."
Colbert's full interview airs Sunday on "Oprah's Next Chapter."
RELATED: Stephen Colbert's Cartoon Voice
Kim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Find out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite