Taylor Armstrong: I developed a drinking problem after Russell's suicide
- Photo: FayesVision/Wonderwall1 of 15
- Photo: FayesVision/WENN2 of 15
- Photo: McMullen/Fame Flynet3 of 15
- Photo: Carma/Promotional4 of 15
- Photo: © Gabriel Grams/Retna Ltd.5 of 15
- Photo: Paul A. Hebert/Retna Ltd.6 of 15
- Photo: WENN7 of 15
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP8 of 15
- Photo: Amanda Leddy/Splash News9 of 15
- Photo: Jen Lowery/Splash News10 of 15
- Photo: Jon McKee/Retna Ltd.11 of 15
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP12 of 15
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP13 of 15
- Photo: FS2/WENN14 of 15
More Celeb News
- Hillary Clinton Breaks Silence on Ferguson, Says America Is 'Better Than That'MSNEntertainment 8/28/2014 4:43:00 PM
- Why Is California Tripling Film and TV Tax Credits While Other States Slash Them?MSNEntertainment 8/28/2014 4:25:00 PM
- Venice Reviews: Michael Shannon's Indelible Performance in '99 Homes,' PlMSNEntertainment 8/28/2014 4:23:00 PM
- Story of Frozen Special Reflects on Movie's Magic; Producer Confirms Broadway PlansMSNEntertainment 8/28/2014 4:20:00 PM
- Martin Starr, Paul Wesley Movie 'Amira & Sam' Lands U.S. DistributionMSNEntertainment 8/28/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Hillary Clinton Breaks Silence on Ferguson, Says America Is 'Better Than That'
Taylor Armstrong has nothing to hide. In the Feb. 25 episode of Bravo's "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills," Kim Richards asked her sister, Kyle Richards, to assist her in confronting the widowed reality star about a presumed drinking problem.
Armstrong, 41, took the sisters' advice to heart and thanked them for their support. The "Hiding From Reality" author elaborated on the episode -- and shared many more dark secrets -- in her official Bravo blog on Feb. 26.
"I went through about nine months where I was drinking to cope with the pain and the memories. I was drinking to forget, to stop the recurring images in my head, to relax enough to try to sleep at night," wrote Armstrong, whose estranged husband, Russell, committed suicide in August 2011. "I quickly discovered that one glass of wine made it a little easier, two would help me forget, three, four -- you get the point."
Armstrong continued, "I was self-medicating, and the sad truth is that I didn't know another way to get through the days -- and nights. I was confronted with the truth that the life I thought I had was only an illusion. What I finally realized was that 'pain waits for you.' I would medicate for a day and the next morning all the emotions would come flooding back -- not to mention the massive headache."
"Thankfully," Armstrong wrote, "I had an amazing support system, and they helped me realize that it was time for me to feel my emotions and let the healing begin."
The reality star and mom to 6-year-old Kennedy added that former child star Richards "is no Dr. Drew" and wasn't in a position to be doling out advice. "She doesn't spend enough time with me to be evaluating anything about my life," Armstrong wrote of the "Escape to Witch Mountain" star, who completed her third stint in rehab in January 2012. Regardless, she praised her friend's recovery. "I care for her, and am deeply happy that she is having success with her sobriety, finally."
Armstrong also apologized to new cast member Yolanda Foster, with whom she butted heads in earlier episodes. "When she and I met, I was in a bad place. I was in no state of mind to be making new friends," Armstrong said of the Dutch model. "I was watching my life fall apart, and looking at her perfect life wasn't helping. I was convinced that I would never love or trust another man again, and here she had two successful marriages and a beautiful family."
Armstrong, who was prescribed anxiety medication by her doctor, added that she did take at least "some" of the Richards sisters' advice.
"I did three things. I decided Kyle was right and it was time to leave the house [that I shared with Russell]. I needed to let go of that final piece in order to move on with my life. I took Kim's suggestion and went to the mountains for the winter. I have taken that opportunity to heal and to spend time with Kennedy, enjoying the simple things," she explained. "Finally, I went cold turkey off my medication. Not recommended but, I am a bit of an extremist -- in case you haven't noticed."
Armstrong said she's in a much better place today. "I am happy and healthy. Kennedy is happy, laughing, and singing every day," she wrote. "I'm coming home to Beverly Hills as a new woman with my past behind me and a new life in front of me." The single star concluded her blog post with a "big kiss from my big lips."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Rihanna strips down to a bikini while vacationing near an active volcano off the coast of Italy on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Beyonce does her best to prove that her family life is just perfect on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The guys from Rascal Flatts talk with Wonderwall editor Jessica Herndon about life on tour, crazy fan encounters and more.Watch Video »
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Kendall and Kylie take Wonderwall behind the scenes at a photo shoot and chat family, embarrassing style moments and more!Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTVolcano Vacay
From Crowd Ignite