Teresa and Joe Giudice of 'Real Housewives of NJ' free on $500K bonds
- Photo: MediaPunch Inc/Rex USA1 of 20
- Photo: Dave Kotinsky/Splash News2 of 20
- Photo: Bravo TV/Promotional3 of 20
- Photo: JLC/ZOJ/WENN4 of 20
- Photo: Bravo/MSN5 of 20
- Photo: MSN6 of 20
- Photo: JKG/ZOJ/WENN7 of 20
- Photo: WENN8 of 20
- Photo: Jeff Daly/WENN9 of 20
- Photo: Scott Weiner/Retna Ltd.10 of 20
- Photo: Demis Maryannakis/Splash News11 of 20
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage.com12 of 20
- Photo: Splash News13 of 20
- Photo: Bravo/Promotional14 of 20
- Photo: Ron Asadorian/Splash News15 of 20
- Photo: ajwillnerauctions.com/.16 of 20
- Photo: Bravo/.17 of 20
- Photo: GARY HE/Invision/AP18 of 20
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage.com19 of 20
More Celeb News
- PHOTO: Check Out Glee's Lea Michele on Sons of AnarchyMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:21:00 PM
- Discovery Counts Down to Shark Week With 'Gears, Fears and Rears' Week (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:18:00 PM
- 'Sharknado 2: The Second One' Live Blog: Join Our Real-Time Snark-nadoMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:16:00 PM
- 'Fifty Shades' Star Dakota Johnson Joins Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton in &aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:04:00 PM
- Laura Benanti Is Headed to NashvilleMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 3:43:00 PM
- PHOTO: Check Out Glee's Lea Michele on Sons of Anarchy
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — Two stars of the "Real Housewives of New Jersey" were released on $500,000 bond each after making initial court appearances Tuesday on federal fraud charges.
Teresa Giudice and her husband, Giuseppe "Joe" Giudice, were ordered to surrender their passports and to confine their travels to New Jersey and New York. Joe Giudice could be deported to Italy if convicted because he is not a U.S. citizen. They did not enter pleas.
They were charged in a 39-count indictment Monday with conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud, bank fraud, making false statements on loan applications and bankruptcy fraud. The couple is accused of exaggerating their income while applying for loans before their TV show debuted in 2009, then hiding their fortunes in a bankruptcy filing after their first season aired.
Authorities allege the couple submitted fraudulent mortgage and other loan applications from 2001 to 2008, a year before their show debuted on Bravo. Prosecutors said the couple submitted fake W-2s, tax returns and bank account information to lenders.
RELATED: 'The Real Housewives' Hot Spots
Prosecutors allege the Giudices received about $4.6 million in mortgages, withdrawals from home equity lines of credit and construction loans. Joe Giudice, an entrepreneur, also failed to file tax returns for the years 2004 through 2008, when he is alleged to have earned nearly $1 million, prosecutors said. During that time his income allegedly fluctuated wildly; the indictment states he made $323,481 in 2005 and $26,194 in 2006.
In a statement Monday, Teresa said she supports her husband and wants to resolve the charges as soon as possible.
"I am committed to my family and intend to maintain our lives in the best way possible, which includes continuing my career," she said.
A Bravo spokesman had no comment.
"Everyone has an obligation to tell the truth when dealing with the courts, paying their taxes and applying for loans or mortgages," said U.S. Attorney Paul Fishman. "That's reality."
In their 2009 bankruptcy filing, the couple said they were $11 million in debt. They stated their monthly take-home pay was $16,583, but $10,000 was from "monthly assistance from family members" and Bravo income. It also said they owed $2.2 million in mortgages, $13,000 to Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom and nearly $12,000 to a fertility clinic.
The most serious charges the couple face, bank fraud and loan application fraud, carry a maximum potential penalty of 30 years in prison and a $1 million fine.
Where Are They?
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Beyonce and more stars share their summer love on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See some of the many revealing looks that Kim Kardashian has donned recently.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBye Baby Bump
From Crowd Ignite