Teresa Giudice is 'cool, calm' even as Joe Giudice could be deported
- Photo: Walter McBride/Retna Ltd.1 of 11
- Photo: MediaPunch Inc/Rex USA2 of 11
- Photo: Derrick Salters/WENN3 of 11
- Photo: Mr. Blue/WENN4 of 11
- Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage5 of 11
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage6 of 11
- Photo: Diane Cohen/Fame Flynet7 of 11
- Photo: Harry Pluviose/Retna Ltd.8 of 11
- Photo: JLC/ZOJ/WENN9 of 11
- Photo: WENN10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs to Become Filmmaker-in-Residence at Chapman UniversityMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 11:27:00 AM
- Pretty Little Liars Finale Postmortem: A's Latest Victim Speaks Out!MSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 11:09:00 AM
- Jeremy Irvine, Minka Kelly Thriller 'The World Made Straight' Acquired by MillenniMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 11:06:00 AM
- Drafthouse Films, Participant Media Acquire US Rights to 'The Look of Silence'MSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 10:53:00 AM
- David Frankel to Direct Sci-Fi Drama 'Departure'MSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 10:53:00 AM
- Academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs to Become Filmmaker-in-Residence at Chapman University
The latest development in Teresa and Joe Giudice's shocking legal drama may literally tear the "Real Housewives of New Jersey" star's family apart -- but the reality star is staying "cool, calm and collected" in spite of it all, her attorney Henry E. Klingeman told Us Weekly outside the courthouse in Newark, N.J. on Tuesday, where the couple were presented with their charges and penalties.
"She's been through a lot, as everybody who watches the show knows," Klingeman told Us. "[There have been] challenges, both personal and professional, and she deals with them in due course and she'll deal with this one."
During the New Jersey courthouse proceedings on Tuesday, it was revealed that Joe, 43, is not a U.S. citizen, but an Italian one, and if found guilty of the bankruptcy fraud charges pressed against him, he could face deportation.
"The family is handling themselves with great dignity, but it's very traumatic," Klingeman said. "And when you have four small girls, it's tough for everybody, including the girls."
The reality show couple are parents to daughters Gia, Gabriella, Milania and Audriana.
On Monday, the pair was hit with a combined 39 counts of fraud and tax charges, including conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud, bank fraud, making false statements on loan applications and bankruptcy fraud.
U.S. Attorney Paul J. Fishman, who initially brought the case to light, told Us that the charges are "serious," and that the investigation into the Giudice's money troubles has gone on "for a pretty long time."
"Their maximum penalties are in the hundreds of years," he explained, adding that "realistically," that kind of a sentence would not likely happen.
"Our bankruptcy proceedings depend on truthfulness from people who file from the protection of the courts; it's a system that's been devised to make sure people that have debts can, in fact, get out from under those debts but they have to be truthful with the courts," Fishman said. "The indictment alleges the Giudices did not do that."
Joe's attorney Miles Feinstein, meanwhile, told Us that he is confident he will prove his client's innocence. (It is customary for every defendant in federal cases to have a separate attorney.)
"Every point has two sides and there is another side to this," he said. "We're confident they're not guilty but we haven't received the discovery [yet]."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Beyonce does her best to prove that her family life is just perfect on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The guys from Rascal Flatts talk with Wonderwall editor Jessica Herndon about life on tour, crazy fan encounters and more.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Golden Globe Style
Cojo predicts the trends for the 2010 Golden Globes.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
From Crowd Ignite