- Photo: Devone Byrd/PacificCoastNews.com1 of 7
- Photo: Evan Agostini/AP2 of 7
- Photo: BIW/Fame Pictures3 of 7
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage.com4 of 7
- Photo: FayesVision/WENN5 of 7
- Photo: Scott Weiner/Retna Ltd.6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Jennifer Aniston Stages Mini 'Friends' Reunion for 'Ellen'MSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 1:59:12 PM
- 'X Factor' Season 3 First Look: New Judges Kelly Rowland, Paulina Rubio at CharlesMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 1:49:47 PM
- 'Real Housewives of O.C.'s' Tamra Barney Lands SpinoffMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 1:22:13 PM
- 'Bad Teacher' Series Gets Late Pickup From CBSMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 1:00:12 PM
- 'Epic' Review: Moments of Delight Pep Up a Crushingly Familiar StoryMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 12:50:51 PM
- Jennifer Aniston Stages Mini 'Friends' Reunion for 'Ellen'
Being a nobody never paid so well. From the Kardashian sisters $11 million haul to The Situation's $3 million payday, The Daily Beast tallies the top earners in reality television.
In a recent episode of "Keeping with the Kardashians," star Kim Kardashian emerges with severe bruising around her eyes, as if she lost a battle in the boxing ring. Most Hollywood celebrities wouldn't go in public in such a state, much less cop to getting Botox, but Kim not only receives injections onscreen, she bares the galling results for all her fans.
Few know how to finesse fame better than Kim Kardashian. Like her old sidekick Paris Hilton, she's a well-bred daughter of the Hollywood hills me famous for, well, who knows really -- but Kardashian is on-track to be more than this decade's Hilton.
While Paris' notoriety centered on stupidity, which she flaunted with such aplomb it was hard to know whether it was a disguise or her actual disposition), Kardashian never appears undone, either physically or professionally. Her talent is maintaining a glamorous sheen while napping or eating a hamburger and her fame hinges on her ability to keep it all together. Of course, her business is a family business, with sisters Kourtney and Khloe as well as her mom, brother, stepfather (former Olympian Bruce Jenner) and stepsisters, all part of the picture-a tight-knit group with a unique shade of wholesomeness.
For that, she earned at least $6 million this year by our calculation-topping The Daily Beast's inaugural ranking of the top-earners in world of reality television. (For the full rankings, click here.) She has the lower-rent trappings of reality star fame-quickie endorsement deals and party hosting gigs and sponsored tweets, but her career also bears the hallmarks of established fame. She has licensed perfumes, appeared on the cover of November's W magazine and has a stake in an online shoe venture she co-founded, Shoedazzle. With her sisters, who are now stars in their own rights, she also has a share of licensed clothing line K-Dash by Kardashian and a chain of retail stores.
Endorsement deals and appearance gigs are the best (and fastest) ways to capitalize on the flash-in-the-pan fame inherent to reality television. "The Jersey Shore" star, DJ Pauly D became the face of Baskin Robbins this spring, Playmate-turned-TV-mom Kendra Wilkinson endorses nutritional supplement Ab Cuts, and Pauly D's buddy Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino touts everything from pre-workout supplements to vodka. Snooki, yet another "Jersey Shore" cast member, whose $750,000 in earnings this year failed to get her on our list, recently inked a deal with Happy Feet slipper company partner on a line of nighttime footwear.
For retailers or manufacturers of licensed products, the concern with reality stars is whether the star will still be famous in a year-the average time it takes for products to land on store shelves. "A celebrity that has become famous because of their talents is in a better position to make demands because, in general, their fame is here to stay," says Michael Stone, president and CEO of the Beanstalk group, a licensing agency and consultancy. "A retailer may be more willing to talk a chance on an [established] celebrity."
While earning millions, reality stars are supplanting the role of movie stars in some ways. Celebrity weeklies once nursed weekly sale spikes that inevitably occurred when Angelina, Brad and brood appeared on the cover, or the ever-likable Jennifer Aniston. In the first half of the year, the top-selling single issue for US Weekly featured Jake Pavelka from "The Bachelor" on the cover, according to data from the Audit Bureau of Circulation. In the same time period, mother-of-eight Kate Gosselin scored the second highest single issue circulation for OK! Weekly and the Duggars (parents featured on reality show "19 Kids and Counting") covered the highest single issue of People magazine.
The cultural timing is perfect. Celebrity magazines stripped the glamour from Hollywood celebrity as they cataloged stars taking trips to Starbucks and wrangling their toddlers on the playground, which humanized them to the average reader. "Just Like Us!" has become more than a weekly magazine feature; it's become a mentality. But whereas the stars of silver screen are reluctant to share their unfiltered personal lives, reality stars are eager to let photographers and camera crews track the minutiae of their lives. And for now, the audience is insatiable.
Many recognized celebrities have turned to reality television to reinvigorate their careers (Bret Michaels), extend their personal brands (Rachel Zoe) or just capitalize on their fame (Donald Trump). But The Daily Beast ranking was ruled by a defining principal: to merit inclusion, the star must derive his/her fame from reality television. And we defined that in the strictest sense: American Idol and other contestant shows weren't included. This list purely measures those who've cashed in on fame, versus talent. Furthermore, we only counted active reality television stars: those with a show that aired in 2010. (Sorry, Paris.)
All of our estimates were calculated from dozens of discussions with industry professionals, agents, manager and publicists, as well as published reports and public financial disclosures. All figures are for calendar year 2010 and designed to be conservative-in other words, some of these characters may have earned even a bit more. Nice work if you can get it.
Lauren Streib is a reporter for The Daily Beast. She was previously a reporter for Forbes.
Gallery: The 10 Highest-Paid Reality Stars
Related story on The Daily Beast: The Real Jersey Dictionary
More on Wonderwall:
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Queen's FeastBeyonce had a major feast in Dublin, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bump DebutSelena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite