The Shortlist for March 19Related: The Shortlist, Michelle Williams, Tom Cruise, Lindsay Lohan, Lisa Rinna, Lil Wayne, LeAnn Rimes
- Photo: AnOther Magazine/.3 of 8
AnOther Magazine Responds to Racism Outcry After Michelle Williams Cover
"Just as Blackface is never OK, Redface is never OK … The cover should be pulled, and all parties involved owe the American Indian community an apology." That's how writer Ruth Hopkins, of the website LastRealIndians.com, responded when AnOther Magazine ran this cover image of Michelle Williams dressed in what appears to be Native American garb, complete with darkened skin and features made up to appear more ethnic.
In the wake of the controversy sparked by the cover, a rep for the magazine spoke out in defense of the editorial decision with the following statement: "While we recognize the seriousness of this debate, the image in question in no way intends to mimic, trivialize or stereotype any particular ethnic group or culture … The image … is one of a suite of images … presenting Ms. Williams in a series of eight different imaginary characters.
"All the characters in the story were inspired by multiple fashion and cultural references, characters and eras, as well as by our admiration of Ms. Williams as one of the most respected and talented actresses of her generation. While we dispute the suggestion that the image has a racist subtext in the strongest possible terms, we're mortified to think that anyone would interpret it in this way."
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite