Tim Gunn Reveals He Tried to Kill Himself at 17
- Photo: FredSly/London Ent/Splash News1 of 7
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/WireImage.com2 of 7
- Photo: Retna Digital3 of 7
- Photo: Rob Kim/Retna Ltd.4 of 7
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/WireImage.com5 of 7
- Photo: American Express Skybox/ Mike Coppola-Getty/.6 of 7
More Celeb News
- 'Sound of Music' Ratings: 5 Milestones It Hit for NBCMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 9:11:40 AM
- 'Nurse 3D' Trailer Teases Erotic Thrills and Bloody Kills on Valentine's MSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 8:54:30 AM
- Jerry Bruckheimer, Paramount Reach 3 Year, First Look DealMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 7:54:27 AM
- Early Ratings: 'Sound of Music' Looks Like a Hit for NBCMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 7:46:24 AM
- Jimmy Kimmel Reminds Viewers Just How Sensitive Los Angeles Reporters Are To 'Cold&aposMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 7:43:14 AM
- 'Sound of Music' Ratings: 5 Milestones It Hit for NBC
In a new video for The Trevor Project (via the Huffington Post), an organization focused on suicide prevention among gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth, "Project Runway" host Tim Gunn reveals that he attempted to take his own life when he was 17.
"As a 17-year-old youth who was in quite a bit of despair, I attempted to kill myself and I'm very happy today that that attempt was unsuccessful but at the time it's all that I could contemplate."
Gunn continues, "I woke up the morning after taking over a hundred pills and I was in a whole other level of despair. I thought, 'I shouldn't be here. This isn't what was meant to be.' I frankly just wanted to start life all over again."
In light of the recent suicide of Rutgers University student Tyler Clementi, this message could not be more timely. Clementi jumped off the George Washington bridge after footage of him having sex with another man was posted online. His roommate is accused of secretly filming the encounter and streaming it live. The case has brought attention to bullying and sexuality issues.
"There are people who can help you," Gunn states in the video, "You cannot do this alone."
In closing, Gunn signs off with a profound statement: "It gets better; it really does."
RELATED ON WONDERWALL:
RELATED ON USMAGAZINE.COM:
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHollywood Love?
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite