Tyra Banks: I Was Too Heavy at 17 to Make It as a Model in 2012Related: Tyra Banks
- Photo: Andres Otero/WENN1 of 18
- Photo: Humberto Carreno/StarTraks2 of 18
- Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage.com3 of 18
- Photo: KELLY JORDAN/StarTraks4 of 18
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage5 of 18
- Photo: KELLY JORDAN/StarTraks6 of 18
- Photo: AO1/WENN7 of 18
- Photo: Ivan Nikolov/WENN8 of 18
- Photo: Jennifer Mitchell/Splash News9 of 18
- Photo: PN2/http://www.wenn.com/10 of 18
- Photo: @tyrabanks/Twitter11 of 18
- Photo: StarTraks12 of 18
- Photo: @TyraBanks/Twitter13 of 18
- Photo: Carolyn London via Us/.14 of 18
- Photo: VPJ/WENN15 of 18
- Photo: Jennifer Mitchell/Splash News16 of 18
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage.com17 of 18
More Celeb News
- MTV's 'Teen Wolf' Star Dylan O'Brien Eyed for DreamWorks&apoMSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 4:48:07 PM
- Review: Spirited, sexy version of 'Master Builder'MSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 4:42:37 PM
- Lease to Broadway's biggest theater soldMSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 4:31:38 PM
- Blossoming VOD Service Viewster Adds BBC's 'Skins,' Starz and Shine ProgrMSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 4:26:11 PM
- Ray Manzarek Death: 5 Must-See Performances (Video)MSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 4:23:37 PM
- MTV's 'Teen Wolf' Star Dylan O'Brien Eyed for DreamWorks&apo
Tyra Banks says Vogue's new ban on underage and too-thin models is something worth "smizing" about.
Earlier this month, all 19 international editors of the legendary fashion magazine pledged to stop featuring models who are "under the age of 16 or who appear to have an eating disorder."
Though the restrictions might seem like common sense to outsiders, Banks, 38, says the abuse of underage models and the prevalence of eating disorders are even worse now than when she first started, and that the industry is in dire need of reform.
In an essay on The Daily Beast, Banks writes, "There needs to be more industry-wide protections for models, and we need to be more consistent with what the acting world does: protect our minors, as well as the health and well-being of models."
Drawing from her own experience as a teen model in Paris, Banks says she was only able to avoid the pitfalls so many others haven't with the help of her mom, Caroline.
"In my early 20s, I was a size four. But then I started to get curvy," the 5-foot-10 supermodel reveals. "My agency gave my mom a list of designers that didn't want to book me in their fashion shows anymore. In order to continue working, I would've had to fight Mother Nature and get used to depriving myself of nutrition."
Banks' mother wasn't going to stand for it. "As my mom wiped the tears from my face, she said, 'Tyra, you know what we're going to do about this? We're going to eat pizza.' We sat in a tiny pizzeria in Milan and strategized about how to turn my curves into a curveball. "
Adds Banks, "In a way, it was my decision not to starve myself that turned me into a supermodel, and later on, a businesswoman."
The "America's Next Top Model" host admits that working models today face a very different climate.
"The truth is that if I was just starting to model at age 17 in 2012, I could not have had the career that I did. I would've been considered too heavy," Banks explains. "In my time, the average model's size was a four or six. Today you are expected to be a size zero. When I started out, I didn't know such a size even existed."
Applauding Vogue's new initiative, Banks concludes that the most important attitude shift of all has to come from within each individual. The "Modelland" author has even coined a new term to encourage wannabe models -- and young women everywhere -- to embrace who they are right now.
"I've been using the word 'flawsome' a lot," she writes. "It's you + your flaws + awesome = flawsome ... Never forget that you are fabulous, you are fierce, you are flawsome."
RELATED ON WONDERWALL & MSN:
- 7 of Rihanna's Worst Looks
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 17, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 16, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 15, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 14, 2013
- 7 Most Outrageous Gwyneth Paltrow Quotes
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 10, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 9, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 8, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 7, 2013
- 7 Best Bikini Bods
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 3, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 2, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 1, 2013
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Check out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
Florence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite