Tyra Banks: I Was Too Heavy at 17 to Make It as a Model in 2012Related: Tyra Banks
- Photo: Andres Otero/WENN1 of 18
- Photo: Humberto Carreno/StarTraks2 of 18
- Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage.com3 of 18
- Photo: KELLY JORDAN/StarTraks4 of 18
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage5 of 18
- Photo: KELLY JORDAN/StarTraks6 of 18
- Photo: AO1/WENN7 of 18
- Photo: Ivan Nikolov/WENN8 of 18
- Photo: Jennifer Mitchell/Splash News9 of 18
- Photo: PN2/http://www.wenn.com/10 of 18
- Photo: @tyrabanks/Twitter11 of 18
- Photo: StarTraks12 of 18
- Photo: @TyraBanks/Twitter13 of 18
- Photo: Carolyn London via Us/.14 of 18
- Photo: VPJ/WENN15 of 18
- Photo: Jennifer Mitchell/Splash News16 of 18
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage.com17 of 18
More Celeb News
- 'Devil' No More? BitTorrent 'Arthur Newman' Promotion Generated MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 2:22:25 PM
- Ratings: CNN's 'New Day' Premieres to Lukewarm NumbersMSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 2:13:56 PM
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead Joins Logan Marshall Green on Cinemax Pilot 'Quarry' (ExclMSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 2:09:01 PM
- Summer Box Office Up 13 Percent: How Hollywood's Big Bet Is Paying OffMSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 2:01:58 PM
- 'Simpsons' Producer Lands 'How Murray Saved Christmas' Special aMSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 1:41:53 PM
- 'Devil' No More? BitTorrent 'Arthur Newman' Promotion Generated
Tyra Banks says Vogue's new ban on underage and too-thin models is something worth "smizing" about.
Earlier this month, all 19 international editors of the legendary fashion magazine pledged to stop featuring models who are "under the age of 16 or who appear to have an eating disorder."
Though the restrictions might seem like common sense to outsiders, Banks, 38, says the abuse of underage models and the prevalence of eating disorders are even worse now than when she first started, and that the industry is in dire need of reform.
In an essay on The Daily Beast, Banks writes, "There needs to be more industry-wide protections for models, and we need to be more consistent with what the acting world does: protect our minors, as well as the health and well-being of models."
Drawing from her own experience as a teen model in Paris, Banks says she was only able to avoid the pitfalls so many others haven't with the help of her mom, Caroline.
"In my early 20s, I was a size four. But then I started to get curvy," the 5-foot-10 supermodel reveals. "My agency gave my mom a list of designers that didn't want to book me in their fashion shows anymore. In order to continue working, I would've had to fight Mother Nature and get used to depriving myself of nutrition."
Banks' mother wasn't going to stand for it. "As my mom wiped the tears from my face, she said, 'Tyra, you know what we're going to do about this? We're going to eat pizza.' We sat in a tiny pizzeria in Milan and strategized about how to turn my curves into a curveball. "
Adds Banks, "In a way, it was my decision not to starve myself that turned me into a supermodel, and later on, a businesswoman."
The "America's Next Top Model" host admits that working models today face a very different climate.
"The truth is that if I was just starting to model at age 17 in 2012, I could not have had the career that I did. I would've been considered too heavy," Banks explains. "In my time, the average model's size was a four or six. Today you are expected to be a size zero. When I started out, I didn't know such a size even existed."
Applauding Vogue's new initiative, Banks concludes that the most important attitude shift of all has to come from within each individual. The "Modelland" author has even coined a new term to encourage wannabe models -- and young women everywhere -- to embrace who they are right now.
"I've been using the word 'flawsome' a lot," she writes. "It's you + your flaws + awesome = flawsome ... Never forget that you are fabulous, you are fierce, you are flawsome."
RELATED ON WONDERWALL & MSN:
- Spike TV's 2013 Guys Choice Awards
- 2013 GLAAD Awards
- 2013 Coachella Hard Rock Lounge
- 2013 MTV Movie Awards
- Kids' Choice Awards 2013
- Elton John's Oscar Viewing Bash
- 2013 Grammy Awards
- 2013 Clive Davis Pre-Grammy Party
- 2013 Critics' Choice Movie Awards
- 2012 American Music Awards Red Carpet
- 'Breaking Dawn: Part 2' Premiere Red Carpet
- 2012 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
- 2012 MTV Video Music Awards Red Carpet
- 2012 MTV Movie Awards Red Carpet
- 'The Dictator' London Premiere
- 2012 Grammy Awards Red Carpet
- 2012 People's Choice Awards Red Carpet
- 2011 American Music Awards Red Carpet
- 2011 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
- 2011 MTV Video Music Awards
- 2011 MTV Movie Awards
- 2011 Kids' Choice Awards Orange Carpet
- 2011 Grammy Awards Red Carpet
- 2011 Golden Globes NBC After Party Red Carpet
- 2011 People's Choice Awards Red Carpet
- 2010 American Music Awards Red Carpet
- 2010 MTV Video Music Awards White Carpet
- 2010 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
- Spike Awards Red Carpet
- MTV Movie Awards Red Carpet
- Wango Tango Red Carpet
- Hot Tub Time Machine Red Carpet
Two months after major marital problems, Ozzy and Sharon do a Hollywood date night on Celebs gone Social.Watch Video »
See how this former Calvin Klein model's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
Star Inspired Ink
From Ryan Cabrera to Megan Fox, see celebs who've gotten tattoos of other stars.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite