Tyra Banks: I Was Too Heavy at 17 to Make It as a Model in 2012Related: Tyra Banks
- Photo: Andres Otero/WENN1 of 18
- Photo: Humberto Carreno/StarTraks2 of 18
- Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage.com3 of 18
- Photo: KELLY JORDAN/StarTraks4 of 18
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage5 of 18
- Photo: KELLY JORDAN/StarTraks6 of 18
- Photo: AO1/WENN7 of 18
- Photo: Ivan Nikolov/WENN8 of 18
- Photo: Jennifer Mitchell/Splash News9 of 18
- Photo: PN2/http://www.wenn.com/10 of 18
- Photo: @tyrabanks/Twitter11 of 18
- Photo: StarTraks12 of 18
- Photo: @TyraBanks/Twitter13 of 18
- Photo: Carolyn London via Us/.14 of 18
- Photo: VPJ/WENN15 of 18
- Photo: Jennifer Mitchell/Splash News16 of 18
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage.com17 of 18
More Celeb News
- Director Costa-Gavras: European Cinema Could Not Survive Without State Protection MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:39:13 PM
- HBO Passes on Darren Aronofsky Pilot 'Hobgoblin,' FX Eyes Project (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:34:40 PM
- Journalist Michael Hastings Dead at 33MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:21:05 PM
- Paul Feig Developing Female James Bond Comedy 'Susan Cooper'MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:06:06 PM
- Reed Elsevier Sues Jay Penske's Variety, Claims $1.3 Million OwedMSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 3:18:15 PM
- Director Costa-Gavras: European Cinema Could Not Survive Without State Protection
Tyra Banks says Vogue's new ban on underage and too-thin models is something worth "smizing" about.
Earlier this month, all 19 international editors of the legendary fashion magazine pledged to stop featuring models who are "under the age of 16 or who appear to have an eating disorder."
Though the restrictions might seem like common sense to outsiders, Banks, 38, says the abuse of underage models and the prevalence of eating disorders are even worse now than when she first started, and that the industry is in dire need of reform.
In an essay on The Daily Beast, Banks writes, "There needs to be more industry-wide protections for models, and we need to be more consistent with what the acting world does: protect our minors, as well as the health and well-being of models."
Drawing from her own experience as a teen model in Paris, Banks says she was only able to avoid the pitfalls so many others haven't with the help of her mom, Caroline.
"In my early 20s, I was a size four. But then I started to get curvy," the 5-foot-10 supermodel reveals. "My agency gave my mom a list of designers that didn't want to book me in their fashion shows anymore. In order to continue working, I would've had to fight Mother Nature and get used to depriving myself of nutrition."
Banks' mother wasn't going to stand for it. "As my mom wiped the tears from my face, she said, 'Tyra, you know what we're going to do about this? We're going to eat pizza.' We sat in a tiny pizzeria in Milan and strategized about how to turn my curves into a curveball. "
Adds Banks, "In a way, it was my decision not to starve myself that turned me into a supermodel, and later on, a businesswoman."
The "America's Next Top Model" host admits that working models today face a very different climate.
"The truth is that if I was just starting to model at age 17 in 2012, I could not have had the career that I did. I would've been considered too heavy," Banks explains. "In my time, the average model's size was a four or six. Today you are expected to be a size zero. When I started out, I didn't know such a size even existed."
Applauding Vogue's new initiative, Banks concludes that the most important attitude shift of all has to come from within each individual. The "Modelland" author has even coined a new term to encourage wannabe models -- and young women everywhere -- to embrace who they are right now.
"I've been using the word 'flawsome' a lot," she writes. "It's you + your flaws + awesome = flawsome ... Never forget that you are fabulous, you are fierce, you are flawsome."
RELATED ON WONDERWALL & MSN:
- Brad Pitt's Changing Looks
- Hollywood's Hottest Dads
- Mark Wahlberg's Shirtless Looks
- Prince William & Duchess Kate's Cutest Couple Moments
- Stars with tattoos of other celebs
- Brooke Shields' Changing Looks
- Carrie Underwood's Evolving Looks
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Cast Yearbook Photos
- Worst Celeb Sunburns
- Celeb Twins
- Celebs Who Work Out on the Beach
- Country Music's Hottest Couples
- Worst spring wardrobes
- Leonardo DiCaprio's Romance Retro
- WATN: 'Boy Meets World'
- Tim McGraw's changing looks
- Craziest Kim Kardashian pregnancy rumors
- Celebs Who Look Like Their Pets
- Mariah & Nick's Matching Style
- Hollywood's Tomboys
- The Royal Couple's Favorite Sports
- Kim Kardashian's Curvy Maternity Style
- WATN: 'Jurassic Park'
- January Jones' Retro Looks
- The Rock's Soft Side
- WATN: 'Veronica Mars'
- WATN: 'Beetlejuice'
- Fergie's Changing Looks
- Star Twitter Quitters
- Hollywood's Hottest Ryans
- Insured Celebrity Body Parts
- Most Expensive Celeb Engagement Rings
- Sweetest Celeb PDA
- Kim Kardashian's Tightest Looks
- Olivia Wilde's Best Street Style
- Justin Timberlake's Many Looks
- Hottest Royal Beach Bodies
- Celebrity Pets with Famous Names
- Michelle Williams' Best Fashion Moments
- Lindsay Lohan's Changing Looks
- Justin Bieber's Changing Hair
- Most Awkward People on the Red Carpet
- WATN: '7th Heaven'
- Ke$ha's Worst Looks
- Worst Oscar Fashion
- George Clooney's Oscar Dates
- Most Embarrassing Celeb Splits
- Stars Before They Were Oscar Nominees
- Jennifer Lawrence's Best Fashion Moments
- Rihanna's Sexiest Grammy Style
- Drew Barrymore's Craziest Looks
- Jennifer Aniston's Changing Looks
- Worst Dressed Celeb Designers
- Anne Hathaway's Oscar Looks
- Grammy's Hottest Couples
- Taylor Swift's Best Grammy Fashion
- WATN: 'Wonder Years'
- Destiny's Child's Most Iconic Looks
- Best Off-Season Bikini Bods
- Emma Stone's Best Red-Carpet Looks
- Celeb Flashers
- Mariah Carey's Biggest Feuds
- Mariah Carey's Wacky Wardrobe
- Britney Spears' Wackiest Red Carpet Poses
- Celeb Makeup Mistakes
- Ryan Gosling's Leading Ladies
- Nicole Kidman's Golden Globe Fashion
- Katy Perry's Year as a Single Gal
- Celebs Who've Removed Romantic Tattoos
- Most Memorable Celeb Holiday Cards
- Five of the Worst Celeb Winter Wardrobes
- Jennifer Aniston & Justin Theroux's Romance Retro
- Stars Who Are Aging in Reverse
- Christina Aguilera's Worst Looks
- 2012's One Hit Wonders
- Celebs Without Makeup
- Best and Worst Beach Bodies of 2012
- 2012 Fashion Don'ts
- Craziest Beauty Trends of 2012
- Celebs Who Survived Cheating Scandals
- The Turkeys of 2012
- Kristen Stewart's Best Red Carpet Moments
- WATN: 'Less Than Zero'
- Star Couples Who Went from Friends to Lovers
- The Most Famous Celebrity Pets
- The Hottest Celebrity Halloween Costumes
- WATN: 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'
- Jessica Biel's White Hot Red Carpet Style
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Two months after major marital problems, Ozzy and Sharon do a Hollywood date night on Celebs gone Social.Watch Video »
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See how this former Calvin Klein model's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
Star Inspired Ink
From Ryan Cabrera to Megan Fox, see celebs who've gotten tattoos of other stars.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite