Whoopi Goldberg: Mel Gibson 'Is Not a Racist'
- Photo: Retna Digital1 of 8
- Photo: Stephen Lovekin/GettyImages.com2 of 8
- Photo: MSN3 of 8
- Photo: GettyImages.com4 of 8
- Photo: Dennis Van Tine/Retna Digital5 of 8
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com6 of 8
- Photo: GettyImages.com7 of 8
More Celeb News
- NBC Promotes Jenny Groom to Senior Vice President, Alternative Programming and DevelopmentMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Bryan Singer Accuser Michael Egan Drops Sex Abuse LawsuitMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Pivot Network Now Available on College Streaming Service PhiloMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:31:00 PM
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Summer Finale Attracts 2.3 Million ViewersMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:14:00 PM
- Chiller 'As Above, So Below' Tries to Put Scare Into 'Guardians'MSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 2:53:00 PM
- NBC Promotes Jenny Groom to Senior Vice President, Alternative Programming and Development
Mel Gibson has one person defending him in Hollywood. The actor, 54, was allegedly quoted on tape using the "N" word, but Whoopi Goldberg said on "The View" Monday, "I know Mel, and I know he's not a racist."
"I have had a long friendship with Mel. You can say he's being a bonehead, but I can't sit and say that he's a racist having spent time with him in my house with my kids," added Goldberg, 54."I don't like what he's done, make no mistake," she went on. "I'm not defending Mel. I'm simply saying I don't see him as [a racist] because that's not been my experience with him."
On Monday, new explosive audio was released by RadarOnline.com in which Gibson allegedly admits to hitting ex Oksana Grigorieva while she held their 8-month-old daughter, Lucia. On June 21, Grigorieva filed a restraining order against Gibson, alleging that he punched her in the face and knocked out her teeth Jan. 6. A Gibson source tells Us Weekly: "They got into it, but he absolutely did not injure her."
He then turned around and filed his own restraining order against Grigorieva, prohibiting her from speaking about certain aspects of their case.They are both due in court July 20 over the restraining order.
More on Wonderwall:
More from UsWeekly:
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTPup Power
From Crowd Ignite