Whoopi Goldberg reveals story behind her name
- Photo: SI1/WENN1 of 9
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP2 of 9
- Photo: JM11/http://www.wenn.com/3 of 9
- Photo: Venturelli/GettyImages.com4 of 9
- Photo: WENN5 of 9
- Photo: Chris Carlson/Invision/AP6 of 9
- Photo: Scott Brinegar/Disneyland/Invision/AP7 of 9
- Photo: Stills/Retna Ltd.8 of 9
More Celeb News
- 'The Huntsman' Release Set for April 2016 and 'The Mummy' Moves MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 2:03:00 PM
- Shaquille O'Neal, Rapper Waka Flocka Flame Sued for Making Fun of Disabled Man on Social MeMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 12:17:00 PM
- 'Sharknado 2: The Second One' Premiere More Than Doubles Original's RatinMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:59:00 AM
- Peter Capaldi's 'Doctor Who' Season Debut Gets Theatrical RunMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:54:00 AM
- Exclusive: Mad Men's Rich Sommer Returning to ElementaryMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:54:00 AM
- 'The Huntsman' Release Set for April 2016 and 'The Mummy' Moves
She was born Caryn Elaine Johnson, but has become a household name as Whoopi Goldberg.
And on Tuesday night's edition of "Watch What Happens Live," Whoopi was asked by a caller, "How and when did you get the nickname Whoopi?"
"I'm a farter," Whoopi said nonchalantly. "You know, when you work in the theater, sometimes you do quick changes and you're running around and sometimes you're just letting go.
"And it became, that was the joke: Whoopi." (As in the classic Whoopee Cushion.)
"Because I was a farter," said the always candid star, who has admitted to having hot flashes on the set of "The View."
The caller also asked what Whoopi's real name was. While she did not give the full answer, Whoopi, 57, indicated that Goldberg was a "family name."
Host Andy Cohen said, "Thank you for your call. You got a really good answer out of that call!"
Watch What Happens Live airs Sundays through Thursday at 11/10c on Bravo.
MORE ON WONDERWALL
Where Are They?
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTPool Party
From Crowd Ignite