Whoopi Goldberg reveals story behind her name
- Photo: SI1/WENN1 of 9
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP2 of 9
- Photo: JM11/http://www.wenn.com/3 of 9
- Photo: Venturelli/GettyImages.com4 of 9
- Photo: WENN5 of 9
- Photo: Chris Carlson/Invision/AP6 of 9
- Photo: Scott Brinegar/Disneyland/Invision/AP7 of 9
- Photo: Stills/Retna Ltd.8 of 9
More Celeb News
- Watch This Tonight: The Real Housewives of New York CityMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 7:07:00 AM
- Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz, Pedro Almodovar Condemn Israel for Gaza AttacksMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 7:04:00 AM
- Ethan Hawke, Kevin Smith, Jean-Luc Godard Among New Crop of Directors Sending Films to TorontoMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 6:58:00 AM
- Die Hard Star James Shigeta Dies at 81MSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 6:49:00 AM
- Earnings: New York Times Co. Profit Down 21% in Q2MSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 6:43:00 AM
- Watch This Tonight: The Real Housewives of New York City
She was born Caryn Elaine Johnson, but has become a household name as Whoopi Goldberg.
And on Tuesday night's edition of "Watch What Happens Live," Whoopi was asked by a caller, "How and when did you get the nickname Whoopi?"
"I'm a farter," Whoopi said nonchalantly. "You know, when you work in the theater, sometimes you do quick changes and you're running around and sometimes you're just letting go.
"And it became, that was the joke: Whoopi." (As in the classic Whoopee Cushion.)
"Because I was a farter," said the always candid star, who has admitted to having hot flashes on the set of "The View."
The caller also asked what Whoopi's real name was. While she did not give the full answer, Whoopi, 57, indicated that Goldberg was a "family name."
Host Andy Cohen said, "Thank you for your call. You got a really good answer out of that call!"
Watch What Happens Live airs Sundays through Thursday at 11/10c on Bravo.
MORE ON WONDERWALL
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTerrible Trends
From Crowd Ignite