Whoopi Goldberg reveals story behind her name
- Photo: SI1/WENN1 of 9
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP2 of 9
- Photo: JM11/http://www.wenn.com/3 of 9
- Photo: Venturelli/GettyImages.com4 of 9
- Photo: WENN5 of 9
- Photo: Chris Carlson/Invision/AP6 of 9
- Photo: Scott Brinegar/Disneyland/Invision/AP7 of 9
- Photo: Stills/Retna Ltd.8 of 9
More Celeb News
- 10 Oscar Lessons From the First Blitz of Critics' AwardsMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 11:58:45 PM
- 'Hobbit' Sequel's High Frame Rate Theaters Nearly Doubled But Warner BroMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 11:36:29 PM
- Leighton Meester to Make Broadway Debut Opposite James Franco in 'Of Mice and Men'MSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 9:00:07 PM
- How Hollywood Infiltrated Miami's Art Basel (Photos)MSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 7:56:35 PM
- '20 Feet From Stardom' Stars to Sing National Anthem at Rose BowlMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 7:04:02 PM
- 10 Oscar Lessons From the First Blitz of Critics' Awards
She was born Caryn Elaine Johnson, but has become a household name as Whoopi Goldberg.
And on Tuesday night's edition of "Watch What Happens Live," Whoopi was asked by a caller, "How and when did you get the nickname Whoopi?"
"I'm a farter," Whoopi said nonchalantly. "You know, when you work in the theater, sometimes you do quick changes and you're running around and sometimes you're just letting go.
"And it became, that was the joke: Whoopi." (As in the classic Whoopee Cushion.)
"Because I was a farter," said the always candid star, who has admitted to having hot flashes on the set of "The View."
The caller also asked what Whoopi's real name was. While she did not give the full answer, Whoopi, 57, indicated that Goldberg was a "family name."
Host Andy Cohen said, "Thank you for your call. You got a really good answer out of that call!"
Watch What Happens Live airs Sundays through Thursday at 11/10c on Bravo.
MORE ON WONDERWALL
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Christina Aguilera to Jennifer Hudson, see some of Hollywood's ever-changing waistlines.Watch Video »
Candace Cameron Bure talks to WW's Chris Gardner about "Full House" reruns, her famous brother and finding her purpose in life through faith.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTAdele's PDA
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite