William Shatner Is Not a Star Wars Fan
- Photo: DAMIAN DOVARGANES/Invision/AP1 of 13
- Photo: Skip Heine/Invision/AP2 of 13
- Photo: Skip Heine/Invision/AP3 of 13
- Photo: PNP/WENN4 of 13
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage.com5 of 13
- Photo: TBS/Promotional6 of 13
- Photo: Chris Polk/Invision/AP7 of 13
- Photo: Jae C. Hong/Invision/AP8 of 13
- Photo: CP Aaron Harris/Invision/AP9 of 13
- Photo: Promotional10 of 13
- Photo: Kaminski/Splash News11 of 13
- Photo: BAC Pictures/Retna Digital12 of 13
More Celeb News
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 5:00:00 PM
- Ray J Arraigned for Sexual Battery, Vandalism and Resisting ArrestMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:59:00 PM
- Mark Wahlberg in Talks to Star in J.C. Chandor's 'Deepwater Horizon'MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:49:00 PM
- 'The Gunfighter' Director Eric Kissack on How He Cast Nick Offerman: TheWrap&aMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Benedict Cumberbatch Joins WB's 'Jungle Book' as Voice of Shere KhanMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?
William Shatner is attempting to melt the Internet today by weighing in on the Star Trek versus Star Wars argument no one really has anymore, given that the world has demonstrated that there's more than enough room for both franchises.
Unsurprisingly, he is on Team Trek. "Star Trek had relationships and conflict ... and stories that involved humanity and philosophical questions," he says.
By contrast, Star Wars is "derivative" and isn't about stories but rather just about its special effects.
But thanks to J.J. Abrams "piling on the special effects" in Star Trek's recent iterations, now the Roddenberry universe wins on that front, too.
(Leonard Nemoy had a more charitable read on the two factions last year, saying, "George Lucas really did us all a big favor. Star Wars is what put Star Trek back into production.” Classic Spock! So logical.)
"So Star Wars has nothing to stand on," Shatner insists. "There's a resurgence of Star Trek ... that supersedes Star Wars on every level."
Even on the ladyfront? Princess Leia "can't compare to the marvelous heroines we had on Star Trek," he says, though he also says Kirk would totally ride off into the sunset with Alderaan's favorite daughter: Leia and Kirk "would be the perfect union."
Oh, William Shatner, you cannot possibly imagine the volume of fan fiction that supports this exact claim.
William Shatner [Twitter]
Read more posts by Margaret Lyons
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSassy Single
From Crowd Ignite