William Shatner Is Not a Star Wars Fan
- Photo: DAMIAN DOVARGANES/Invision/AP1 of 13
- Photo: Skip Heine/Invision/AP2 of 13
- Photo: Skip Heine/Invision/AP3 of 13
- Photo: PNP/WENN4 of 13
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage.com5 of 13
- Photo: TBS/Promotional6 of 13
- Photo: Chris Polk/Invision/AP7 of 13
- Photo: Jae C. Hong/Invision/AP8 of 13
- Photo: CP Aaron Harris/Invision/AP9 of 13
- Photo: Promotional10 of 13
- Photo: Kaminski/Splash News11 of 13
- Photo: BAC Pictures/Retna Digital12 of 13
More Celeb News
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 5:09:00 PM
- PHOTO: Check Out Glee's Lea Michele on Sons of AnarchyMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:21:00 PM
- Discovery Counts Down to Shark Week With 'Gears, Fears and Rears' Week (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:18:00 PM
- 'Sharknado 2: The Second One' Live Blog: Join Our Real-Time Snark-nadoMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:16:00 PM
- 'Fifty Shades' Star Dakota Johnson Joins Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton in &aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:04:00 PM
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&apos
William Shatner is attempting to melt the Internet today by weighing in on the Star Trek versus Star Wars argument no one really has anymore, given that the world has demonstrated that there's more than enough room for both franchises.
Unsurprisingly, he is on Team Trek. "Star Trek had relationships and conflict ... and stories that involved humanity and philosophical questions," he says.
By contrast, Star Wars is "derivative" and isn't about stories but rather just about its special effects.
But thanks to J.J. Abrams "piling on the special effects" in Star Trek's recent iterations, now the Roddenberry universe wins on that front, too.
(Leonard Nemoy had a more charitable read on the two factions last year, saying, "George Lucas really did us all a big favor. Star Wars is what put Star Trek back into production.” Classic Spock! So logical.)
"So Star Wars has nothing to stand on," Shatner insists. "There's a resurgence of Star Trek ... that supersedes Star Wars on every level."
Even on the ladyfront? Princess Leia "can't compare to the marvelous heroines we had on Star Trek," he says, though he also says Kirk would totally ride off into the sunset with Alderaan's favorite daughter: Leia and Kirk "would be the perfect union."
Oh, William Shatner, you cannot possibly imagine the volume of fan fiction that supports this exact claim.
William Shatner [Twitter]
Read more posts by Margaret Lyons
Where Are They?
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Beyonce and more stars share their summer love on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See some of the many revealing looks that Kim Kardashian has donned recently.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBye Baby Bump
From Crowd Ignite